Neurology Community
numb hand after shoulder surgery

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

numb hand after shoulder surgery

My husband recently had left shoulder surgery for a torn rotator cuff. A nerve block was used to numb his arm. When the block wore off his hand never "woke" up. He was told by the surgeons that he now had carpal tunnel so a 2nd surgery to release the nerve was preformed. His hand is still numb. Now they are blaming this on diabetes. (He was only recently dx with this, and his bs levels are at excellent values and his HA1C is only slightly elevated). So I quess my question is, Can you develop diabetic neuropathy in the 45 minutes that it took for his shoulder surgery to be preformed? Was this doctor error? or Was this from the nerve block?
Thanks for any input on this question.
chare101
  • Shoulder issues (2 replies):
    My shoulders have been bothering me alot as of late espe...[more]
  • Tania (1 replies):
    Hi, I am a 25 yr old female. For the past 2 days I have ...[more]
  • ???? (1 replies):
    For a few months now I've been experiencing bilateral pa...[more]
  • Bad pain in my delts (1 replies):
    My name is Amanda and I'm 20 and I was working out doing...[more]
  • Pinched nerve? (1 replies):
    I woke up about three weeks ago with slight pain in my l...[more]
Hi, Thank you very much for your questions; although it is quite difficult for me to give you a precise opinion here without being able to examine you, but I would try to provide you some relevant information about your shoulder pain. Your symptoms could be suggestive of either some nerve injury or a pressure on the nerve due to the muscle spasms. Another possibility in your case could be damaged the soft-tissues such as muscles and ligaments if you are over-doing any shoulder exercises or lifting heavy weights. Since you have persistent pain, I would recommend you to see a neurologist who can evaluate the details of your case and could better determine the insight of your situation.  In addition, it will be best if you would also visit a physiotherapist to let him/her assess your back and shoulders.  Hope this helps.