Neurology Community
numb thigh

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

numb thigh

9 weeks ago I had a terrible pain for 20 mins in right thigh (in the middle ) and pain in the hip area.After subsiding it has left me with a numb thigh down the outer side.Also now I am having pins and needles in fingers of both hands and a tingle in the right cheek when I lie in bed .Doctor thought it was siatica but it seems more like Meralgia Parathestica.Would this condition have a pain initially and also have any of the other symtoms (symptoms) described.I now have a referral to the Neorology dept at our local hosptital but the waiting is 6 months.Should I do something about getting it quicker and what would you suggest is my condition.
Tags: thigh
Meralgia Parathestica is a painful mononeuropathy of the lateral femoral cutaneous nerve due to entrapment of this nerve as it passes through the inguinal ligament.
This nerve  is responsible for the sensation of the anterolateral thigh and it is a purely sensory nerve and has no motor component.
It usually occurs in isolation.

You require a in depth examination to assess your problem and root cause for it. Try to get an appointment as early as possible.
What`s the chances of this going away itself ? Would it start with this pain in the thigh ? Felt a nigggly pain in hip that day when golfing....then at night the pain came on and left me with this numbness.It`s 10 weeks now and no better.
How is the numbness now??  Still there??  I have it too...in both my thighs....Doctors are sending me for all kinds of tests but so far no one gives me any answers.  I did my own research and found out about the meraglia P......but the doctor today said since they did blood work and ruled out diabetes and the did an ultrasound and there's no blood clot now instead of just taking my word for it I have to get an MRI , go see a neuroligist and get some kind of needles stuck into my nerves on my legs or something to see if I don't have MS.  
Hello.

Since you have symptoms in other parts of the body also, I am not sure if this is meralgia paresthetica only. A detailed neurological examination with relevant investigations are required. A spine MRI should be helpful.

Can you reschedule the neurology appointment to an earlier date ? And how's the numbness now ?

Regards
Have had M R I Scan and now to get a isotope bone scan.Numbness is still there but no further symtoms (symptoms).What are they looking for ?Can this problem be resoved ?So far not much has been done or said regarding this problem other than they agree it is Meralgia Paresthetica.
I was diagnosed with MP back in Feb. 2007 after having shoulder surgery for a torn rotator cuff. When i first went to a doctor, they laughed saying what does your leg have o do with your shoulder. It wasn't so funny though when two other doctors said they believed it was caused from the position I was in during the surgery (beach chair position). They said being bent in that position for 2-1/2 hrs. pinchd the nerves in my pelvic area. Anyway, I've had the tingling in the legs but not the hands, EXTREME BURNING in both outer side of the thighs and exteme numbness in both outer thighs which I still have. The pain has gone away, the pins and needle pokes happen once in a while but the numbness is the same. The doctor toldme I will probably have to live with the numbness since it has not gone away by now. Good luck to you. I wish you well.