Neurology Expert Forum
numb tongue

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

numb tongue
My 32 year old daughter began having a numb tongue during her final month of pregnancy.  Dr. told her it would go away after birth, it has not.  She has also been having some dizziness with this numb tongue and a twitch beneath her left eye.  She is terrified that it is a tumor or something extremely serious.  Does anyone have any advice?
I am happy to address the questions that you pose, although it is important that you recognize that my impression is based entirely on the information you have provided in your posting and is by no means a substitute for an office visit with a neurologist.  Diagnosis is contingent on detailed history and physical exam and as such, the following information should be considered solely for educational purposes.

The symptom you are describing is basically altered sensation in the tongue associated with possible muscle twitching in the face. These symptoms are -generally speaking- non-specific, and based on that limited information I can't pinpoint a specific disease process that would explain the symptoms.

There are few diagnostic possibilities, these include include things like electrolyte abnormalities (like low potassium or calcium levels) or vitamin deficiency; either due to low dietry intake/high demand (which could happen during pregnancy) or a disease process affecting the absorption of these elements. Then another possibility would be a structural lesion in the nervous system, but it is actually not typical for a brain lesion (like a stroke, tumor or demyelinating disease) to present with a very focal numbness in the tongue, I would expect to see involvement of more areas.

Also dehydration, low dietry intake and fatigue can explain the numbness, muscle twitching and also the mild dizziness. But without carefull history and examination I can not be definitely sure.

I suggest you see a neurologist to get more detailed history and perform a thorough neurological examination, then the appropriate testing can be done (if needed) to figure out the underlying process. In the meantime it would be a good idea to maintain a well-balanced diet and adequate hydration.

Thanks for using the forum. Good luck.
A related discussion, mommy with numb tongue was started.