Neurology Community
numbness, tingling, muscle spasms

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

numbness, tingling, muscle spasms

I am a 26 year old male. About 3 weeks ago I had a bad cold.  I overcame the symptoms relatively quickly (except for the cough)  About 10 days ago my left pinky finger began to twitch.  It was a very slight twitch and something I could overcome.  Over the next few days the twitching began to subside, and a feeling of general weakness/numbness started primarily on the left side of my body.  (in my left hand and arm, as well as in my left foot)  This general feeling of weakness has now spread to my entire body, and my hands and feet feel a slight numbness.  

The symptoms I'm feeling are not debilitating, although I'm feeling generally weak and tired.  My muscles simply do not seem to be reacting the way they normally do. My muscles feel moderately sore, and somewhat shaky.  I can hold my arms out straight without any shaking or twitching, but they simply feel weird.  

A few days before this began I accepted a job across the country and quit my then current job.  It was a major life decision to pack up and move to the opposite coast.  I believe this may be causing anxiety, although I do not feel particularly stressed.  My Grandfather also passed away a couple of days ago, although it was expected and I do not feel any real emotional distress about it.  

I'm concerned that the symptoms I'm feeling are consistent with the onset of MS.  When I read about the numbness, muscle twitching, spasms, dizziness, and overall sense of weakness it concernes me.  I saw a doctor 4 days ago and he suggested I am hyperventilating.  He said it was simply anxiety.  

The problem is that I don't feel particularly anxious. I certainly don't feel as though I'm overbreathing, and the symptoms are consistent, they do not come and go.  This morning I woke up from a good nights rest and the faintness was immediately present.

Please help with any advice.  I am terribly concerned.