Neurology Community
numbness and tingling in lower extremities

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I am a 38 year old female. About two weeks ago I developed numbness and tingling in my buttocks, genitals, legs, feet and toes. I went to the doctor and was admitted to the hospital immediatly. I spent 8 days at the hospital and had every test you couls imagine. They originally diagnossed me with Gillian-Barre Syndrome and started immunoglobulin therapy. After one day of treatment and a nerve conduction test they decided it was the wrong diagnoses. I am out of the hospital but the symptoms are still severe. I cannot walk without a walker and cannot feel much of the lower half of my body. In the hospital they did an MRI of the head, spine, pelvis and sacrum. They did extensive bloodwork and the only thing they could find was my ANA was high. I had a lumbar puncture and X-rays also. Every other test was normal. this came on out of nowhere but after a upper respitory cold. Please does anyone have any answers for me?
The doctor today decided to put me on a 3 week dose of steroids (prednisone 50mg tablet ROX)
  • tingless (2 replies):
    hey every one some times i experience tingle like feelin...[more]
  • tingles? (3 replies):
    im a 23 yr old otherwise healthy female of 2 boys i was ...[more]
  • Tingling and numbness (1 replies):
    Hi, New here. I have a question. Has anybody had this...[more]
  • Legs numb (3 replies):
    I was noticing that my legs have started going numb rece...[more]
  • Pins & Needles (1 replies):
    When sleeping only I get sharp pain,of pins & needles on...[more]
There can be several reasons of your generalized body numbness &, tingling although without being able to examine you I can not offer you the specific advice on diagnosis and treatment that you need, but I would try to provide you some relevant information about your health concern.

Most likely your symptoms could be due to injury to a nerve, pressure on spinal/peripheral nerves (neuropathy), vitamin deficiency, lack of blood supply due to cholesterol plaque from atherosclerosis in the extremities, viral infection and use of certain medications.  In addition, atherosclerosis can also cause pain, numbness, and tingling while walking and they can also reduce blood supply and lead to numbness. Please consult your doctor to get all these possibilities evaluation in your case for further assessment. Hope this helps.

I am a 37 year old female and am experiencing the same thing. My buttox was the first to feel numb and now it is in my heels and genitals and i dont have insurance so i cant go to the doctor. i fear that this is not going to go away. How do we fix this? I feel your pain...