Neurology Expert Forum
numbness and weakness in legs and arms
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

numbness and weakness in legs and arms

About two weeks ago my legs and arms started tingling (not pins),
  and feeling like they were going to sleep (but not all the way).
  A week ago they started getting weaker (maybe 30%), and within a
  few days they were down to about 50% strength. The tingling has decreased
  but arms and legs are still weak. No injuries, drugs, or any thing
  that I can think of that could have caused this. I am a 40 year old
  male 6'1" 225, in good shape and good health otherwise.
  Blood and urine work was done and everything is normal, so is blood pressure
  and heart rate.
  What is this called and how do I get rid of it?

==============================================
Dear Ken,
thank youf for your excellent question.
The most likely diagnosis in your case is AIDP (acute inflammatory demyelinating polyradiculopathy), a.k.a. Guillain Barre Syndrome, also called the French Polio. Many patients report upper respiratory infection, or some sort of illness within a month prior to the onset of the disease, also vaccination has been reported to triger this diesease. It is an autoimmune disease (overactive immune system in a way...)
Your symptoms is classic, numbness and tingling for a few days followed by rapidly progressive  weakness (usually in ascending fashion, legs first then hands and arms).
The majority of patients reach nadir (weakest) by fourth week. The halmark finding is areflexia (loss of reflexes, knee, ankle, biceps jerks as usually tested by your doctor). This condition is self limiting and most patients get better. In your case, if you developed these symptoms less than four weeks ago, there is a chance that you may continue to get weaker...This may lead to respiratory difficulty.
YOU SHOULD GO TO THE NEAREST EMERGENCY DEPT IF THE WEAKNESS CONTINUES TO PROGRESS.
Because of the advancement in intensive care techniques, the mortality is now less than 5 %, and these are largely due to autonomic instability (blood pressure fluctuation, heart rhythm abnormalities, etc.)
Thecases we see in the hospital are the bad ones, they can't walk in a matter of days, dan may even require ventilatory support. Unless there are other history, such as tick bite, abdominal pain and exposure to toxic substance, i.e. arsenic, blurred vision and difficuty breathing,
you  most likely have GBS. Studies to confirm include spinal tap and an electrical study called EMG and nerve conduction study (where the doctor will shock the nerve to test its function and integrity, and thin needle is inserted into muscles to check if they are healthy.
YOU SHOULD SEE A NEUROLOGIST PRONTO,
there are treatments available if the symptoms starts within a week.
Good luck and please let us know if you have other questions.
PLEASE SEE A NEUROLOGIST and have him or her examine you including your REFLEXES and breathing function.

====================