Neurology Community
numbness around outer ankle

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

numbness around outer ankle

For the past week or so, I've been having a strange sensation on the outside of my ankle. At first it felt as if a oatch of skin was numb, and now it seems to have progressed to almost all of the outside of my ankle/top and sole of my foot. It isn't insanely numb, just a really creepy lack-of-sensation type feeling. I was doing some research and everything points to damage of the sciatic nerve. The only thing is that I have no lower back pain and haven't lifted anything heavy recently etc. One thing - I had acupuncture done for the first time right before this entire episode began. The acupunctursist put needles in my left leg (where this numbness is now occuring) and I remember once accidentally moving my leg and feeling an uncomfortable twitching sensation during the procedure. Could acupuncture have damaged a nerve/be responible for what I am experiencing now? It is very uncomfortable and is mostly just frightening! Any help would be much appreciated.  
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there. You seem to have damaged your sciatic nerve during the acupuncture procedure. You need to consult a neurologist for a nerve conduction velocity test or NCV for assessing the viability and function of the nerve. The possibility of recovery in case nerve damage occurred depends on the degree and type of damage based on Sedon’ classification. Your doctor also needs to do an MRI spine for you to rule out any intervertebral disc prolapsed, injury or degeneration causing the nerve root compression and radiculopathy according to the level of disc. Hope this helps. Take care.