Neurology Community
numbness in left hand fingers and left foot

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

My mother was abroad a year or so ago. Whilst there she had a sudden excrutiating pain in her leg from the top of the leg right into her toe. It lasted for quite a while until she had a pain relief injection.
Since this episode her left hand has become numb and she feels pins and needles in the fingers and cannot use that hand to do anything properly. It has totally weakened and. Her foot has also become like this and is numb and tingles and is also swollen so she has to wear a bigger shoe size on that foot. She also has to keep a sock on it as it gets worse when it feels even slight cold. She often gets back ache as wel when it is just slightly cold weather or more and has to have a hot water bottle and wear thick clothing.
My mother suffers from high blood pressure, diabetes, had heart problems and also has thyroxide. She takes medicines for all of these things and her diabetes is controlled and not too high with her medicine and her diet.
Please give me an indication of what to do.
Hi, probably she had TIA (mini stroke), please get MRI done to rule it out as it is mandatory since she has a history of both hypertension and diabetes.

Other possibilities are lumbar spondylosis, sciatica etc. Nerve compression due to prolapsed disc or spur leads to pain in leg. Investigations like MRI spine would lead to exact diagnosis due to neuropathy. Sometimes nerve compression at lower spine level leads to weakness in leg along with pain.

Deficiency of vitamin B in the body is also related with peripheral neuropathy giving symptoms of pain and stiffness in legs.