Neurology Community
numbness in my left hand for last two fingers

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

hi, i am a 22yrs old female. recently i had a break up with my bf. i was emotionally broken down. i cried alot and skipped my meals frequently. but lately. i am having this numbness in my left hand, specifically at the palm, to my 4th and 5th fingers. these 2 fingers tend to curl up during rest and i cant even do simple task using my left hand. the numbness are severe in those parts only. i barely can stretch my palm and hold things. i hope anyone can help in sharing some advices with me..

thanks

This discussion is related to Numbness/Tingling/Cramping/Fatigue.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

The nerve innervating (supplying) the thumb, the index finger and the middle fingers is the median nerve. This can get compressed in the wrist, leading to numbness of these areas leading to a condition called Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. The nerve can get compressed due to obesity, Diabetes Mellitus, hypothyroidism, arthritis and trauma. Would advise you to consult your primary care physician who may do a neurological assessment and may ask for Nerve conduction Studies to detect lesions in the nerves.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
thank u Dr Anitha for the reply. :) i had consulted the doctor. They had asked me to do an EMG test to detect the nerve conduction by the end of Jan 2013. For the time being, i am taking neurobion as a supplement and feeling much better now. Anyhow, i will do the test by the end of jan. hope everything goes on well. Wishing u a happy new year and thank u once again. :)

Regards,
Thava
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and have a great year ahead.

Want you to know that this condition is common in those who use the key board, mouse etc a lot—like in computers or in typing jobs. The carpal tunnel (at your wrist through which the median nerve passes) changes its size depending on the position of the wrist. It’s widest when wrist and hand are straight in line. When the hand is bent up or down, the tunnel becomes slightly smaller. This then presses on the nerve which then causes a pain right up to the arm. Often proper working style, working without bending wrist, using smooth movements to operate the mouse and keypad, and relaxing the joints of finger, wrist and arm in between will help prevent carpal tunnel syndrome. Further wearing wrist support or wrist braces can further support along with strengthening exercises.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.

Yes, i had heard about this carpal tunnel syndrome before. I am university student and most of the time, i will be using laptops and lab computer in class and room. I had always taken the precautions to keep my wrist and palm in a correct orientation so that i won't be facing this problem but unfortunately, it still happened it seems. I think i'll need a wrist support braces. Anyway, thank you for the informations Dr, it really helps.

Thank you. :)