Neurology Community
numbness in palm of hand/fingers

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

numbness in palm of hand/fingers

numbness in the palm of hand, that is, from the wraist/palm of the hand numbness.

This discussion is related to numbness in lower region of palm on one hand.
I am 46yrs old. I had this numbness start by having difficulty to close my fist tightly. Then follow by numbness 2 days later. By now, the numbness have became painful at the rear of the finger tips & the the numbness have extend to the elbow. Whenever I am picking up a small
object by the fingers, continueous current are felt.
Was told my my doctor that it was due to age & to allow sometime to get to normal again.
Pls advise
I am a 41 year old female, I awake in the middle of the night with my entire hand numb, sometimes the left , sometimes the right. I usually hold it up and try to open and close my fist and wiggle my fingers which causes it to gradually disappear. This is pretty random, not every night. Also, I am on my back and my hands can be on my stomach or by my side so I am in no way laying on them. Very strange. It has been going on for a couple of years. My B/P has always been normal to low. I did have a neck injury in 2001 where i cracked my c2 vertabrae. But a year or so later it showed to have fused itself when x rayed after a car accident. It has been suggested that I may have carpal tunnel? Possible I guess. I know that I can't operate say a weed eater or drill without afterward not even being able to use my hand to hold a glass of water. So..I haven't used those items in a couple of years.
This numbness has only been in my hands and has not yet moved to my arms as some others have experienced.
Pls advise
Also, I have had a Xanax prescription for 20 years. I only take 1/2 (5mg) peach, during the day and a whole to a half at night. Just remember someone else said something about that. I don't think that has anything to do with it because that is an every day thing pretty much. I take it for stress, anxiety and insomnia. It is the only med i take.