Neurology Community
numbness in right arm and fingers

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

numbness in right arm and fingers

I started having numbness in my right shoulder. A few weeks later the numbness traveled down my arm to my fingers. The numbness comes and go's, all day long with little relief.
My fingers and palm feel like someone is sticking pins in they.
I went to see a neurological. he said I have no nerve reflects.
What can be done about this? And what do next?
And your neurologist recieved his medical degree from the University of Afghanistan?

The "thing to do next" is to find another chancre-mechanic.

The most common etiology for your syndrome is compression of a nerve in the cervical area. There are other possibilities. The CIA, for example, may have implanted a transmitter in your upper forearm Darn them!). Then there are those pesky aliens!

Definitive diagnosis is determined by the following protocol:

(1) Lie flat on the floor while you have your symptoms.
(2) Have someone apply axial traction. Preferably someone who likes you. That is pull your to say,  head gently upwards along the axis of your spine.
(3) If the symptoms instantly disappear you have defined the problem.

And MRI is then justified to rule out the possibility of a tumor (unlikely).
A degenerative nerve disease is another unlikely possibility.

Anti-inflamatories, mild intermittant axial traction several times a day and range-of motion exercises with the head are the standard treatment.
Did the neurologist do an MRI or even more specifically, an MRA/MRV to see if there was any evidence of stroke or TIA regarding your numbness?  Did he do an EMG, to test to see if you had normal nerve function on that side?  Did he take any pictures of your neck to see if you have a pinched or encroached upon nerve or spinal stenosis?
Thank you for your question. Generally, shoulder and arm numbness originates from the neck problems due to irritation in the cervical (neck) spine because the nerves that supply the back of the head start in the upper cervical spine. Mostly, these symptoms aggravate after turning head and typically occur in patients with previous neck injuries and in patients with marked arthritis of the upper cervical spine. In addition, this pain exacerbate with prolonged sitting in a stooped posture and when working on a computers for long hours.  If you suffer continuous numbness, please arrange an appointment with a neurologist right away who will evaluate the possibilities here and can provide you an appropriate treatment. Hope this information proves helpful to you. Take Care & Regards!!!
An MRA is useful to define blood vessels. Stroke damage tends to be consistent. You do not have stroke symptoms "come-and-go". This is not a "stroke" presentation.

"Pictures" of the neck are not necessary.  Nice, but not necessary.

Remediation of symptoms following axial traction is definitive.

The etiology of the nerve comprerssion probably does involve a bit of spinal stenosis.
I surely would want pictures of my neck prior to getting traction.  My relative was referred from physical therapy and they sent the pictures and reports of the many problems in his neck along with him.  I think it is important and valuable for the therapist to know what they are working with.