Neurology Community
numbness in the tip of my pinky and ring finger

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

In my left hand the tips of my ring and pinky finger are numb. What could be the reason for them to be numb? I would love any advice any one could give.
Avatar n tn
I also have this.  I was told it was a nerve thing.  i feel it most often when I carry a heavy purse on my shoulder or put pressure on my elbow.  Everytime I ride in my hubby's truck it will happen and i take my elbow off the arm rest, place it in my lap and within 15 sec or so the feeling is back.

peg
Thanks for the advice. The numbness has been in my pinky for a couple days now feels like it does when your hand or foot goes to sleep, that just want go away. I have tried holding my arm straight down to get the blood flowing to my hand but still does not go away, but i guess like you said it could be nerves because I do have some nerve damage in my legs but i did not know if I had it in my hands. I also have a very mild case of carpitunil (spelling ????) in my hands, so i guess it could have something to do with that. Thanks for the advice.
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?   My husband and I had similar.   We both wore a brace at night.  In his case, after almost a year with the brace, the 'nerve thing' went away.  

In my case, it didn't ....and I had to have surgery in both hands (piece a cake this...by the way)

The way it was explained to us:   when we sleep, we tend to put our hand in an awkward position.  By wearing the BRACE it keeps the hand in one position and helps to heal it.   If you can, also wear it during the day -- especially if using the computer or doing a repetitive function....it is amazing how much we can do just with our fingers.   (buy at a medical supply place - so that they can 'measure your hand.  You want the one that will not allow your hand/wrist to move)

If that doesn't work, your ortho surgeon will have it tested to see if there is damage (can't think of the name of the test, but it is the one they insert a needle and check your muscles/nerves --- sounds horrible, but not bad)

Good luck.   (p.s. I am NOT a physician)