Neurology Expert Forum
numbness in third toe

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

numbness in third toe

I am experiencing numbness in third toe of right foot, is it of concern?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

The numbness of the third toe may be secondary to local compression/injury of the nerve, which is a smalller branch from the larger tibial nerve, supplying this toe.

I would suggest you follow up with your primary care physician for a thorough examination. If additional findings are noted on examination (such as weakness, other numb areas, etc), you would benefit from a referral to a neurologist and possibly from an MRI of the lower back.  

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.