Neurology Community
numbness in thumb and index finger with arm weakness

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

About 4 weeks ago I woke up with a very painful upper back on the left side of the spinal cord.  This was around the scapula.  After going to employee health I was given muscle relaxers along with pain medication and told to do shoulder rotations.  All of this along with moist heat were very temperary relief.  I was awaken some nights with the pain.  After the second week the pain seemed to go away but now my thumb and index finger is  numb.  This  does not leave and when I move my arm a certain way it feels like the whole hand will go numb in a throbbing sort of way.  Now after 2 weeks of this I seem to notice some weakness in this arm.  I went to a chiropractor for 2 visits with no relief and $120 plus.  Do you think I have a condition that will require surgery? I just want this numbness to go away.  Thanks so much for listening.
I would recommend an MRI of the cervical spine and consulting a Neurologist to rule out Carpel Tunne Syndrome.  Sounds like CTS or some other type of nerve impingement.  Surgery?  I can't say you will need it or not.