Neurology Community
numbness left thumb and arm weakness following shoulder surgery

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

October 9th I underwent arthroscopy surgery on my left shoulder, had fraying of rotor cuff, bone burs, and fluid drainage and "clean up" Two weeks after starting PT developed pain in the deltoid muscle, increased weakness in left arm and numbness of left thumb and occasional numbness in three fingers. Numbness is noted when extending arm above head, or out to the side. also occurs when reaching behind my back. I am very frustrated because the ortho and Physical therapist state that numbness of the thumb cannot be caused from the shoulder. However, I did not have this problem before I had this surgery. Also note, that before having this surgery, I had and MRI of my cervical spine showing dixk protusion at C6/C7. What is causing my new symptoms. I am being treated like a crock. Please Help!!!  My arm continues to get weaker and having greater difficulty using my left arm
The symptoms specified by you relate to some form of nerve compression. With the numbness being felt in thumb and three fingers- points towards median nerve involvement. The compression can be anywhere from neck down to the wrist.
It looks you should be having symptoms due to some form of compression at the arm level.
To be conclusive, a clinical examination is must. Do consult a hand surgeon.
Hi.

Your symptoms of numbness could be related to nerve impingement at the cervical spine level.  C6-C7 is the most common left-sided involvement in disk herniation and could probably be causing nerve compression in or around that area.

Pain is normally felt in the shoulder area upon starting PT because of prolonged immobilization of the joint.  It could also be related to the weakness you experience.

Consult a neurologist to properly assess your symptoms.