Neurology Community
numbness legs, arms, fingers, chin, back of neck after sitting

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

A week ago i experienced a heavy chest feeling, hard to breathe, and numbness in my face, back of neck, arms, fingers, and lower leg area. I also felt light headed/dizzy/uneasy to a point i felt like i was going to pass out. This all happened after driving for 20 minutes. Being heart problems run in the family i stopped at a walgreens and bought some aspirin thinking it was heart attack type symptons. I sat in the parking lot and noticed the dizzy/uneasy feeling would come and go. As it came back i drove to the emergency room and was admitted. Chest xray/mri/calcium test/blood work all came back good(calicium test came back high at 104 i believe was the number they mentioned). After the second set of blood work was performed they ruled out a heart attack and i was released.
I have noticed throught the week that it starts to come back as i drive to and from work(45min each way to work). I have tried driving three different vehicles to work to rule out a problem with the seat in my main vehicle. Happened in each of the different vehicles. I have noticed a sorness in my lower back, not sure as to why, no heavy lifting or accident to explain why my back would be sore. Thinking a pinched nerve? Restricted artery? Any suggestions or ideas? I dont have insurance so i am trying to narrow down something that could be done rather than having alot of tests done that might not show anything. I have noticed that sitting on my couch will bring on these symptoms, but if i sit in my chair with my feet up on the ottoman i feel fine?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Sounds to me like something going on with your spine; I would guess your thoracic/lumbar area.  Ideally, you should get an MRI of the brain with CONTRAST for starts and a MRI spine series.  

I know you don't have any insurance and I am at a loss for helping you with that.  I know teaching hospitals are better at caring for patients without insurance.

Keep us posted.
Thank you for your question. There can be several reasons of such symptoms although without being able to examine you I can not offer you the specific advice on diagnosis and treatment that you need, but I would try to provide you some relevant information about your health concern.

If your all investigation reports came back normal, then most likely possibility in your case could be a panic or anxiety disorder that you have faced during last event and currently experiencing. Cause of such panic disorder mostly remains unknown but in this disorder you may feel symptoms like shortness of breath, feeling of choking, pain in the chest, nausea, stomach ache, feeling dizzy, tingling or numbness, chills /hot flashes, bounding heartbeat or fast heart rate, sweating, shaking etc. even without any underlying disorder. This disorder needs to be thoroughly assessed by a psychiatrist first since this can occur repeatedly and without warning.  Treatments may include psychological and drug treatments, and depend upon extent of severity of symptoms. Most commonly psychological treatment tried is counseling, relaxation techniques and sometimes cognitive behavior therapy. ************** depends upon treating the underlying depressive illness through anti-anxiety or anti-depressant medicines.  In addition, try to rest in a dark & quiet room, meditate, have a balanced diet, regularly exercise and avoid taking unnecessary non prescription drugs to avoid recurrence of symptoms. Hope this helps!!

Thank you for your responses. After reading you description of panic and anxiety disorders it kind of makes sense. I didnt mention the amount of stress i am under at the moment. I own my own business wich is struggling month to month to stay open, trying to keep enough work coming in to keep my employees busy, trying to keep up with the bills, trying to refi the house, dealing with a breakup, etc.... Their is more but i think you get the idea. I am the type of person that keeps things bottled in and doesnt bother others with my problems. What would be a course of action, seeing a doctor for a prescription, or talking with a psychologist? I think talking with a psychologist would be a good idea for the long run, but i need to figure out how to deal with this asap. I had a episode today and it is such a scary feeling, i almost called 911 just due to i was having such a hard time breathing.  Anything i can do naturally as far a vitamins that would help with this?  Thank you for your response and advise.
Thank you for your question. I would recommend that you consult a psychologist first and  try to rest in a dark & quiet room, do relaxation technique (breathing exercises), meditate, have a balanced diet, regularly exercise and avoid taking unnecessary non prescription drugs to avoid recurrence of symptoms. Hope this helps!!