Neurology Expert Forum
numbness of left cheek

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

numbness of left cheek

1 inch strip of left cheek below left ear  till center of chin s numb for last 6 month,there is no pain only swelling inside mouth of same side and same feeling in left ear.What can be the causes and remedy.Thank
Tags: numbness
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

The cause of numbness in this area may be from disturbance of a nerve called the trigeminal nerve. It is typically associated with a painful condition called trigeminal neuralgia. However, I would suggest that you follow up with your primary care physician and perhaps neurologist. You should have an MRI of your brain (with a protocol called IAC) to ensure there is not another condition causing numbness (such as multiple sclerosis, mass, or vascular abnormality). The MRI will also help in determining if there is compression around the trigeminal nerve.

Determining the source of your numbness is the first step in determining treatment options.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.

Doctor Thanks for your help,In view of your advice i consulted neurologist here in Athens Greece.She  refered me for ct scanning of head that was done yesterday on 21/02/2012.The expert report is in greek language where as CD containing scan is in english.Doctor if I send CD contents would you please inform me of your expert and kind advi ce
Tariq
Tags: numbness.
Answer of Christopher R Newey, DO on  Jan 22, 2012 ..

Tariq