Neurology Community
numbness on face

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

numbness on face

Yesterday I woke up with a numbness on the left side of my chin. This morning I called the dentist and they got me in right away. He took x-rays and it showed my teeth and gums were just fine. Also, my right and left arm have been tingling at times, especially when I am on the computer or sometimes at night if I lay the wrong way.  I thought maybe this was corpral tunnel. Maybe it has something to do with my numbness in my face.  I would appreciate it if you could give me some kind of idea of what I might be up against.  I am 64 years old and this is the first time I have had any problems at all.  Thank you and I will be looking for to your answer or suggestions.  

I woke up two weeks ago with numb lips and I have been having problems ever since. The numbness travels around my face. Sometimes it covers my chin, cheeks and nose. I also have felt some tingling in one foot over the past few days. I had an episode of numbness in the extremities a couple of years ago, and I was told it was caused by hyperventilation (which can be brought on by breathing a little faster than normal, due to stress or anxiety). I'm not sure if that applies this time. I went to my GP and had a bunch of blood tests run (electrolytes, B12, Lyme disease and others) and I met with a neurologist today. I had an MRI of the brain two years ago (mostly because I wanted it--he didn't think I needed it). He said he is going to do some test of the nerves in my extremities next week to see if I have some kind of nerve problem. He did a neurological exam of my face in the office and everything looked normal to him. You should post your question on this site for the forum doctor. I did that the other day and he/she answered within a day. He or she recommended that I get a bunch of tests. Good luck and let us know how you do.

I've noticed you talk about numbness that travels around your face, along with numbness above your lip.

Those were first symptoms for me too.
I also noticed you were tested for Lyme? Do you have the test results?

I'm curious as to how you fared? I was tested, and was CDC Negative..although I do have bands that are positive(lyme specific).

After being on antibiotics for a few months, I bet I now would test positive.. within CDC criteria.

Good luck with your neuro,
tory

Tory,

I don't have the blood test results yet but I will let you know when I get them. Good luck to you, too. I doubt I have Lyme because, though I live in a "Lyme area," I haven't had much exposed skin out there lately, and my white blood count was on the low side (I think it would be elevated with Lyme).
Can you remember what type of Lyme test you got?

Also, you don't need to have a bull's eye rash in order to be infected. As for the lyme area not being your area...you'd be surprised to see all the areas not considered a lyme area!

I was!

Looking forward to your results.
Hi. I found out my Lyme test was negative, and all my blood results were normal.  
Congratulations on a negative lyme test. You are very common, most of us DO have a Negative Test result...I did!
Yet I was clinically diagnosed with LYME disease!

What bands were positive.. any? Was your test done with an ELSIA? or did your Doctor test through IgeneX in Palo Alto California?

Two different tests...IgeneX, tests for all the bands..

Unfortunetly, getting a negative test result from a proven flawed system keeps so many of us under/misdiagnosed.

you might consider Taking an "antibiotic challenge" to answer the question...if your still looking for answers.
If you feel worse on an antibiotic...you harbor a bacteria! Really that easy, it's called a herxheimer reaction!

I can only recommend you continue reading about the Reasons testing for lyme is unreliable...the answers are there...
the CDC states that testing is not to be the only part of a diagnosis...it's called a clinical diagnosis, yet doctors send us for a blood test, it comes back negative, and lyme is ruled out! Very sad...for most of us with borrelia and very possibley the co-infections that go along with lyme disease.

I do wish you go health...

Dear Tory,
Thank you for your concern. I did test positive to one band (it says 41 KD) but overall negative. I really don't think I have Lyme disease. My symptoms are extremely mild, just weird. I can't imagine where I would have gotten Lyme disease.