Neurology Expert Forum
numbness/paralysis in the hand

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

numbness/paralysis in the hand

What does it mean if I woke up today with my hand partially paralysed/totally numb. The rest of my arm and leg on that side were fine, just my hand
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with your doctor.

The differential can be several things. Where was the numbness exactly? A cause of numbness of the index finger and middle finger is carpal tunnel syndrome. It usually also has sensory changes of the palm at the thumb, index and middle fingers, and the ring finger on the side near the middle finger. I am not sure if you have these other features or not, but I will elaborate on carpal tunnel syndrome.

Carpal tunnel syndrome is a compression/entrapment syndrome of the median nerve at the wrist. It usually results from excessive use of hands and occupational “microtrauma”.  Other causes include hypothyroidism, amylodosis, and arthritis to name a few. It may also arise during pregnancy and resolve after delivery of the child. The sensory changes usually are worse at night. Patients may complain of having to shake their hand to wake it up. If it is a recurrent problem (day and night for years), you may develop atrophy of muscles of the thumb supplied by the median nerve.

For now, if this was an isolated event, you may wish to monitor. If it is a recurrent event, you should have your primary physician evaluate you. You may wish to purchase a wrist brace at your local pharmacy. If the problem becomes disabling, surgery is an option.

Thank you for using the forum, I hope you find this information useful, good luck.