Neurology Community
numbness preceded by headache

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

numbness preceded by headache

my son at 14 is diagnosed by the ENT to have adenoiditis. his symptoms are headache for 5 days now, yesterday, he felt numbness in whole body and feeling of fainting, palpitation and difficulty in speech. maybe for only a few minutes. then after taking antibiotics, pain reliever and antihistamine given by ENT, this morning his one chin is swollen and the pain in right side of his head persisted with fever which disappeared after given paracetamol. research didn't point to the fact that adenoiditis can cause numbness. i am just wondering, what is the problem with my son.

How is your son feeling now?
The numbness fainting and palpitations that he experienced could be because of high fever and headache.
Sometimes numbness can be a harmless symptom as a result of excessive stress, fear or anxiety.
I would suggest you to discuss this with his treating doctor and please keep a watch, if it occurs again it needs to be evaluated.
Thanks for your reply. my son's condition is still the same, and one of his chin is now swollen. Am glad to hear of your professional advise that the numbness may be a harmless symptom. Indeed he was very afraid that he might die, in fact he cried out being so afraid  I just hope that is the reaction of his fear and anxiety.

He is now consulting with his pedia and my wife has called the ENT to inform her of the swollen chin, maybe due to the swollen lymph node.

Although he doesn't have the numbness anymore today. Do you think that it is only adenoiditis? Although with the medications given, there is no improvement yet.

Hoping he will improve by tomorrow.

The swollen chin may be so because of an enlarged lymph node. The lymph nodes enlarge as a result of infection and since adenoiditis is an infection and inflammation of adenoids (adenoids) it is quite possible that the lymph node has enlarged as a consequence of this infection.
It is always necessary to identify the exact cause of tonsillitis before beginning the treatment. Usually it is caused by streptococcus but sometimes there can be other causes as well like a virus or other bacteria.
Tonsillitis due to virus’ will not respond to antibiotics.
Please discuss all these possibilities with the pediatrician. Do keep us posted.
The condition of my son reverted back to square 1, the fever recurred and the headache persisted and there seems to  be no improvement. We informed the ENT and he is advised to go back to the clinic for further evaluation. We will susgest to her if there is a possibility that it is a viral infection or maybe my son is resistant to the antibiotics and will see if culture and susceptibility test will be needed. When he is younger and contracted amoeba, he became resistant to many antibiotics.

The ENT also susgested that if the swelling is substantial, she will confine him to hospital. But I recall that she ruled out tonsilitis.She seemed to be certain that it is adenoiditis.
my son sought a second opinion with another ENT, he diagnosed him to have adenoiditis and sinusitis. abscess is aspirated from his throat and he changed all the antibiotics, antihistamine and decongestant.he had a chest x ray, although it is cleared. Hoping with the abscess aspirated and new antibiotics, hopefully, this time it will work.

By the way, just reconfirmed that instead of antihistamine, the secong ENT prescribed medrol or steroid once a day for six days. am a  little concerned that Medrol might be too strong and unnecessary to a kid. I would like to ask your professional opinion if it will be better to take antihistamine instead of medrol, considering that his conditon has improved.  He has no more fever and headache.

Hoping to hear from you.
i guess the medrol was meant to relief the pain and not the allergy. let me give you the list of all the medicines prescribed:
medrol( for 6 days, once a day)
terfecef 200mg
dalacin 300mg
drixine nasal spray
calpol 500 mg as needed
i would like to ask if i can substitute the medrol with nasatera, a paracetamol/decongestant

pls. let me know

How are you?

Good to know his abscess has been drained and he is on the road to recovery.

I would advise you to continue with medrol as it has just been prescribed for 6 days. You are right in your concern about the use of steroids in young children. But sometime sthay are necessary as in your son’s case as he still recovering from a severe bout of adenoiditis.
Do let me know if I can be of more help!
Thanks for your reply. You are absolutely, right, his chin is still swollen and painful, have talked to the ENT, he also said it is necessary to administer the medrol and continue for 6 days due to the swelling and infection. will be difficult to treat without the steroid and will be painful. Thus, willl take your advise to continue for 6 days. will keep you posted on his improvement.

So far, he has no more fever and headache, thank god, the numbness is just a result of fear and anxiety.
my son has improved a lot, there is still some pus in his throat, the ENT has asked him to fiinish the anitbiotiics for 10 days form jul 17 to 26. then he gave nasonex aquos nasal spray 2 puffs 2x a day for 4 months. may i ask what is this nasal spray for

How are you?
Yes if there is pus in the throat he needs to continue with the antibiotics otherwise the infection can flare up again.
Nasonex spray is an intranasal corticosteroid. It is usually prescribed in allergic rhinitis to reduce the symptoms of nasal stuffiness and congestion.
It is non addicting and proper instructions should be followed while taking it.
Let me know if you need any further information. Do keep us posted!
Thnak you! Am fine, hoe about you?

My son is feeling much better now, hopefully the antibiotics will finally put out the infection

Thanks for the enlightenment on the nasal spray, ENT reommended for a total of usage up to 4 months, do you think we may stop afgter the bottle is consumed? snd substitute with raw honey 2 tablesppon a day.

My son has been taking raw honey one tablesppon everyday for two years now, excpet when he sent to China to study mandarine, he ran out of the raw honey he brought, which was not enough and he started to develp congestion and headache, and upon his return, he also failed to continue taking this daily dose of raw honey.The raw honey actually helps him a lot in controlling his allergy rhinitis. he stuffy nose and  occasional coughing were pretty much under control with raw honey.

Pls. let me know if I can just increase his raw honey intake and stop the nasal spray when bottle is consumed

I am doing fine. Thank you.
Raw honey has been found to be effective from allergic rhinitis because it contains pollen, dust and molds that cause 90% of all allergies.
You can continue with the raw honey but do not stop nasal spray till this acute phase is over.
Once he recovers completely, you can continue with the raw honey. Take care!
Thanks for your very valuable recommendation to do with the nasal spray and with assistance on raw honey. Will follow what you said.

We noticed one more thing, he started to develop phelgm again this morning in his throat, although, he is still continuing the antibiotics and neurobion twice a day until next monday. Do I need to give him mucosolvan to cough up the phelgm/

Yes you can give mucosolvan. It will liquefy the phlegm so it will be easy to cough up.
Do let me know if you need any more information. Take care!
Wish your son a speedy recovery!
okay, will do . thanks  a lot. my son is better now. take care too!
Greetings! How are you? Hoping all if fine.

My son has fully recovered from his sinusitis and adendoiditis, except that he still has some phelgm, so he continues with the mucosolvan. Thanks for your great help.

I would like to ask you about my dad, who is 68, last year his carotid test show 1-15% stenosis, last week the same test shows that he has increased common carotid artery-intima media thickness left high resistance flow pattern in the right vertebral artery, susgestive of a more distal stenosis.

May I ask how serious is this and what medical option does he have.

Hoping to hear from you soon!
Hi, how are you?

My son visited the ENT yesterday,. He mentioned that the adenoid is still big, just not quite sure if he meant it is a little inflammed, although he said there is no more infection and he didn't prescribe any anti-inflammatory medicine. he only gave these two medications: 30 days of montemax 10mg and 60 days of zinex. I believe both are for allergy.He is still continuing with the nasal spray.

He occasssionally has recurrence of phelgm, all other complaints are no longer present.

I guess the allergy is causing the phelgm.

Thanks for your help again

I am doing fine. Thank you.
Yes Montemax is montelukast, it is commonly prescribed to tackle seasonal allergies and Zinex is ceterizine which is again an anti allergic agent.
Seasonal allergies can cause the adenoids (adenoids) to enlarge and cause phlegm. Since he just had a severe bout of adenoiditis it is important that he continues with these medications to prevent reinfection.
Hope this helps!

Am glad to hear from you again. Thanks again for your valuable enlightment on the seasonal allergy stuff and possible reinfection.Will keep you posted with his progress.

Thanks again and best regards!
How are you?  I hope all is fine especially with the current global financial crisis.

I have posted in neurology forum about my problem with tics developed some 7 years ago. A community member advised me that topamax will help alleviate it. But I researched on this medication and discovered that it may do more harm than benefits. So, I thought of writing to you.

My neurologist runs an EMG, but it proved that my muscles are strong and there is no observation of any muscle disorder.He didn't impress upon me that what is the cause of my tics, execpt that he diagnosed that it is mainly due to stress.

I still have the tics occassionally, althought it disappeared temporarily when I go abroad for vacation or even just attending business fair. Is my tics considered a tourette syndrome? May I know if there is any natural nutrients to help alleviate it? Is there any remedy to tics.

Hoping to hear from you!
Greetings again! How are you? My son went back to the ENT for follow up, the doctor said my son still has a lot of phelgm, so he aspirated again from his nose, and asked for the continuation of the nesonex spray, gave ultramox 1000 mg 3x a day for 10 days and gave again medrol 16 mg for the next 7 days. am worried again, bec. my son's phelgm has persisted and it seems that the ENT will start all over again with the medrol, which is steroid.

I didn't want to give the medrol anymore, bec. it is not very good for my son. But I still let him continue with one tablespoon a day. contemplating to giving him 2 tablespoon a day.I will need your personal opinion on the ultramox and medrol.

Hoping to hear from you soon!

Best regards!

I am doing fine, keeping my fingers crossed for the current global crisis to end soon. Thanks.
Tourettes syndrome is a more severe form of tic disorder. Tourettes is diagnosed when motor tics and one phonic tic is present.
Do you have phonic tics?
The overall prognosis for tics is positive and usually relaxation therapies like meditation, yoga, breathing exercises and biofeedback are quite helpful.

Ultramox is a broad spectrum antibiotic Amoxycillin. It is usually prescribed for 10 days in young people. Since he still has considerable phlegm it is important that he takes it.
Also please make sure you give him plenty of warm fluids like warm water to drink, soups, warm milk etc. You can give medrol for few days but avoid it as a long term treatment.
Am very glad to hear from you again, with regards to my son's medication. did you mean  to say that aside from the 10 days of ultramox 1000mg, my son should also take the medrol for 7 days?

Will take note of giving him luke warm water for his daily intake. we usually have hot soup during lunch and dinner. may i ask why do you recommend luke warm water instead of just more fluids intake?
Am certainly glad that finally a specialist has responded to my tics problem. I don't have any phonic tics. I do deep breathing every morning when I am not out of town, and I do it right under the tree in my garden. Can this be sonsidered as a breathing exercise? CAn you tell me more about the breathing exercise I am interested in it. and what is biofeedback?

I do hope the global crisis will taper down, it is affecting everyone in the world. Philippines relie much on the dollar remittance of the overseas workers. If they are greatly affected by the global economy, then we are definitely feeling the pinch.

Hoping to hear from you.

Lukewarm water will help loosening up the secretions in his throat and it will be easier for him to expel the phlegm out.
Please refer to the link below for details on biofeedback therapy.
http://www.innernet.net/doco/sjo/biofeedback.html
Do let me know if you are unable to understand or need more information. Deep breathing can be considered as breathing exercises so please continue with it.
Take care!
Thanks for your very valuable explanation. we will start the medications for my son today. For both medrol and ultramox. i advised him to take lukewarm fluid all the time for next ten days. hoping this time the medication will work.

Thanks for the website, I will check on that. Thanks also for the advise for deep breathing, I will continue with it daily as long as I am in town, Is it ok to do deep breathing exercise in the hotel room when I am on travel?

Best regards!

Yes you can do deep breathing exercises anywhere inside your hotel room or outside even while travelling in an airplane. Take a deep breath, hold it in for a couple seconds and then release slowly.
Hope this helps!

Ok, thanks a  lot for your clarification. I thought deep  breathing should only be done in the garden, it is the execise then, not just the oxygen quality. Okay, have been doing it religiously since then.
In fact, I had tics just 4 days ago, but when I did breathing exercise for the last three days, it doesn't recur. Hoping it will stay that way.
Best regards!
Hi, I have gone thru the website of biofeedback therapy, I am very enlightened about it, Have also talked to a therapy doctor, Will be scheduling a session in the next few days. i didn't know that there is such a very useful therapy to control stress and avoid a lot of sicknesses. Thanks to your help. I appreciate very much, because a lot of doctors and people here in the Philippines told me there is no known cure for tics. Now, I discover there are a lot of options. The breathing exercise is the easiest and the biofeedback therapy seems to be a very useful and promising one.

My dad is a stroke victim six years ago. He underwent a lot of therapy, but not one biofeedback therapy was recommended. Do you still recommend one at this time, he is turning 80 this year end..

Hoping to hear from you.

Thanks for writing in.
Glad to hear breathing exercises have been helping you with your tics.
Actually studies have not given consistent results if Biofeedback therapy is useful in stroke patients or not. Some studies have indicated that biofeedback therapy is no better than a placebo for stroke victims while others have shown marginal benefit. I am not really sure if it helps your father as the results are inconclusive.
Thanks for your swift reply. I am very glad to learn of the breathing exercise for tics. in fact, my neurologist here told me there is no cure, and i have been having recurrence for past 7 years. the last time was just early this week. hoping the breathing exercise will keep it at bay.
i tried to check on several hospitals in manila, unfortunately, they don't have the biofeedback therapy machine yet. I suppose it might be a complicated and expensive machine? Will try to check with the other hospitals.
I guess, if I find this machine, I will be the one to try on it first, and maybe will intorduce to my dad, if it works well with me. After all, stress is the cause of many illnesses.
Best regards!
Hi, how are you? Hoping all is fine! My breathing exercise has kept my tics at bay! Will be continuing to do it. In my son's latest follow up consultation with his ENT, he still has a little phlegm, so the ENT aspirated it again. He prescribed the same nasal spray, but with reduced frequency.
Additionally, he prescribed medixon 16mg once for the next seven days for anti-inflammatory and physiomex nasal spray once a day before bedtime to rinse off all the allergens. He wants this one as a maintaiinance, citing that it is allergy rhinitis that caused his adendoiditis.
I am just wondering that my son has been given steroid twice and yet why is it the his phlegm never goes away.
May I know if there is something that we miss out or is there something else that we should do to get rid of his phlegm once and for all.
Hoping to hear from you. Best regards!
Greetings! Long time no hear. How are you , Doc.?

my son gotten  well from you adendoiditis and it has never recurred.

I would like to ask you what medical test should I take and what may be the possilbe cause of my numbness at the back of my right chest. It started about a week ago when I got on to my jogging machine, at 5 kilometers per hour speed, I stated to feel light numbness on my right back for about 3 minutes.

Then when I make my daily deep breathing exercise in the morning, I started to feel the same numbness that runs for 3 minutes also. but starting yesterday, the numbness persisted and become more frequent even when I am at work in the office.

and just for yesterday, when I was talking loud in my mobile phone due to weak siganl, I felt numbness for 3 minutes in the middld of my chest.and the numbness in the back of my chest persisted for longer period of time for about 20 minutes. otherwise, it doesn't last fro more than 5 minutes.

Hoping to hear your valuable advise.

Best regards!