Neurology Expert Forum
numbness

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

numbness

I've been experiencing numbness in my right side for almost 2 weeks now and it's getting worse (tingling and even more loss of sensation).  I was tested for Lyme disease and it was negative.  Next my dr is sending me for an MRI and more bloodwork.  What could be wrong and is there anything that I should be looking for that should really make me worry?  I'm kind of freaking out about this and don't know what symptoms should send me to the er.  
  • MS-related? (1 replies):
    Can Multiple Sclerosis cause bulging discs?
  • numb tongue (1 replies):
    I woke up this morning with a numb tongue, I don't know ...[more]
  • head shocks (1 replies):
    i all ways get shocks in my head when i move my eyes t...[more]
  • odd feelings (1 replies):
    My 65+ male boss is experiencing strange feelings in his...[more]
  • ALS (1 replies):
    My husband was diagnosed with ALS in April 2010. Some pe...[more]
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

It is difficult to say what the etiology of your symptoms is. One sided symptoms can be worrisome. They can be associated with stroke or multiple sclerosis. These would best be excluded by an MRI. However, less worrisome causes can produce one sided/limb symptoms such as peripheral nerve injury or anxiety.  

I agree you should have an MRI of the brain and cervical cord if the brain is unremarkable. You should also be seen by a neurologist; however, if the symptoms are new onset/acute, you should be seen in an emergency department.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.