Neurology Community
one sided headache, dizziness and neck pain

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Hi all
I have been having severe one sided headaches for just over a year, I had a clear CT scan and have just had an MRI but am still waiting for results. Just recently i have started to get neck pain, and horrible vertigo type symptoms whenever i move my head, esp when i look up, i also find that lifting my daughter (2yrs) causes everything to spin and makes the headache worse. I am nauseous and have lost quite a bit of weight recently although i have been eating as normal (nagging husband makes me eat!!!) I am not stressed although i have a history of depression (i am not depressed now, quite the opposite in fact). This is getting worrying and is starting to affect my ability to get on with my job (i work with young children). Does anyone have any suggestions to what is causing this??
Thanks in advance
Twinkle
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there. This sound like a migraine since vertigo can be associated with them like basilar migraine, dizziness or vertigo is part of its aura symptoms along with partial vision loss, double vision, severe vomiting, ringing in ears, slurring of speech, and loss of coordination, numbness, weakness and confusion. This basilar migraine can lead to strokes or transient ischemic attacks.  Consult your neurologist for a detailed assessment and the MRI would also help in ruling out other possibilities like an intracranial space occupying lesion. Hope this helps. take care.

I feel the same for 1 year and 8 months and my dizziness, fatigue and heavy-headed are constant and disabling.  Mine happened after a head injury (mTBI).

Been to many specialists Neurologists, Neuro-Otologists (ENT specialists), cardiologists (well, too many) and nothing helped so far besides Xanax/Klonopin and even that stopped working since body get used to that quickly and needs more dosage.

I doubt MRI will show anything.  I am going after neck right now (because of stiff neck and pain) and see if I can get any relief from PT etc.,  Sometimes neck can cause all kinds of problems and there is even cervical vertigo which is tough to diagnose and treat.

I let you know if anything works.
Thanks fo the replies, i have been treated for migraine, meds didn't help at all!! was also told that it may be paroxysmal hemicrania but treatment for that didn't work either, my neurologist referred me for the MRI to look at my pituitary gland (not sure why, have no hormonal problems) I have even been sterilised as i had Implanon contraceptive implant and that was blamed, am starting to get a little frustrated with it all, as i have 3 children and am finding it harder to deal with all of theri needs!
Hope to get some answers soon

Twinkle
Much worse today, feeling very strange the pain in my neck is sooooo much worse and am becoming so giddy that i feel really sick, am not sure what i should do now, i know if i go to my GP he will just tell me to wait until i see my neurologist again!! sorry for venting here but no-one else to talk to about it

Twinkle
Was the CT scan for the brain or the neck? I have the same symptoms and it's coming from my cervical spine.
Both scans have been for my head/brain the neck thing is a new problem, i have had the headaches for over a year the neck pain and dizziness started a few weeks ago, not sure whats going on now???

Twinkle x
It may be from your cervical spine like Lili_Inu mentioned.  Ask your Neurologist for a spine MRI.  Also ask your doctor for Physical Therapy for neck.  It may be a pinched nerve causing all the problem.