Neurology Community
one swollen foot

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

one swollen foot

My left foot &ankle is swollen. It started about 4 weeks ago with no apparent injury. I'v used heating pads , foot elevation. Been to dr. , had xrays, blood test,. negative on dr. visits . foot elevation helps some but as soon as I start moving around the foot swells up again. I've been told that I may need to go to a rumatologist. Need help. Any ideas   Jinkz

I think you might try this RICE (rest, ICE, compression and elevation). This is what my podiatrist has me do when my foot swells. Using heat can make it swell more, you can also try contrast therapy, this is just using a combination of ice and heat. You begin with ice and alway end with ice, never heat. When you do this type of therapy you can do this for fifteen minute intervals of each, but always always end with ice. Another point I want to make is to never apply ice or heat directly to your skin, always have a hand towel or towel in between the ice or heat and your skin. There's no need to do this all day long, just a couple or three times per day would be sufficient. Compression can be an ace wrap but you have to make certain that it's not wrapped tightly and when you wrap it to go at least three inches above the ankle so that you don't cause more swelling. Wrap all the way down to your toes. I usually start the wrap there and end up above the ankle. It secures the ace wrapping better by doing it this way.
****I've had six foot surgeries so I'm used to the routine.I'm only speaking from experience and the problems that I've had with swelling. The swelling should go down if you're properly resting it. Try to lay with your foot on pillows but put them lengthwise under your leg so that you don't have just the foot on pillows, this can be uncomfortable. I find more comfort by using a body pillow also. If you rest your foot with it above your heart, the fluid can drain out and ease the swelling. If you try all of this and the swelling persists, make an appointment with the Podiatrist who can do more diagostics on your foot.

You can check out other threads where I've posted regarding the iissues with my feet. I have a fused big toe joint, neuromas on both feet, plantar fasciitis, heel spurs on both feet, bones that sublux and chronic lymphedema, (swelling). If I'm up on my left foot too much I experience swelling but it's so routine for me, I just go into the treatment mode and take care of it.

Good Luck
NaniKai