pain after Transverse Myelitis
My question is do people get excrutiating pain whilst recovering from Transverse Myelitis?  My daughter has SLE which attacked her spine and she got Transverese Myelitis at level C1, C2.  6 months on and still recovering she got the feeling of pins and needles in all 4 limbs now for the last week she has been in total agony with all her limbs and even her face going into spasm.  This is being controlled by morphine.

Is this normal for someone recovering and how long will it last?  It is very upsetting to see.

The neuralgic pain can persist for long time in patients of Transverse myelitis.
Pain is the primary presenting symptom of transverse myelitis in approximately one-third to one-half of all patients. The pain may be localized in the lower back or may consist of sharp, shooting sensations that radiate down the legs or arms or around the torso.

Recovery from transverse myelitis usually begins within 2 to 12 weeks of the onset of symptoms and may continue for up to 2 years. However, if there is no improvement within the first 3 to 6 months, significant recovery is unlikely. About one-third of people affected with transverse myelitis experience good or full recovery from their symptoms; they regain the ability to walk normally and experience minimal urinary or bowel effects and paresthesias. Another one-third show only fair recovery and are left with significant deficits such as spastic gait, sensory dysfunction, and prominent urinary urgency or incontinence. The remaining one-third show no recovery at all, remaining wheelchair-bound or bedridden with marked dependence on others for basic functions of daily living. Unfortunately, making predictions about individual cases is difficult. However, research has shown that a rapid onset of symptoms generally results in poorer recovery outcomes.

Goodluck.

I have TM for one year now. I still have spasms and pain in lower back and torso along with neuropathy in feet, calves and right hand.
How is your daughter doing now after so many years. I would like to know.
Thanks,
Deepa