Neurology Expert Forum
pain and numbness in wrist and hand

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

pain and numbness in wrist and hand

What could this be?  I got a sudden sharp pain in the right side of my wrist which caused my hand to throb, tingle, go slightly numb and cold while the pinky/ring finger through the hand wanted to cramp inward.  It lasted about 1 minute and went away.  My hand felt a little cold for the next few hours, but no pain.  I have been experiencing strange muscle weakness, stiffness and heaviness in my legs (esp. right side) for about six months now.  My right foot wants to cramp when walking or driving, but until now, have had very minor upper body reactions (some clumsiness in both hands and my left hand pinky twitching for a couple days).  I have not been diagnosed and I have an appointment with a new neurologist Monday morning, any input will be greatly appreciated.
Dear J:

I am sorry to hear about your problems.  I am not sure what to tell you, which wrist is giving you problems?  The nerve distribution of the little finger is ulnar.  It might be that you have a mild entrapment of the ulnar nerve.  If the problem is more in the thumb and first two fingers, then it might be a median nerve problem.  It sounds like it might be a ulnar problem.  What the etiology of the problem is I can say.  Without more information, I can't tell.  Make sure when you go see the neurologist you tell him/her the length of the problem, when it started, how it started, what sorts of things you use your hands and arms for (employment, etc),  family history of similar problems, whether it wakes you up at night, if the palm of your hand itches, what other diseases you have, what sorts of testing has been previously performed for the problem,etc.

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD