Neurology Expert Forum
pain at top of left leg

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

pain at top of left leg

I had lithotripsy one week ago which was unsuccessful.  After another CT scan yesterday, the stone is still in the right kidney and has moved to close to the ureteral stent that was placed last week during the procedure. I am scheduled for a laser removal of the stone tomorrow but the problem that I am having is that since my procedure last Monday, I have had tremendous pain at the joint of the hip and leg on the left side of my body.  At first I assumed it was perhaps due to positioning during the litho procedure but the urologist said that this was highly unlikely.  However, the pain that I experience now when walking or with simple shifting of weight is practically unbearable.  I am limping noticeably and it has not eased since the procedure last week.  I am worried about this and the seemingly lack of explanation of this pain.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with your doctor.
Without the ability to examine you and obtain a detailed history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of your symptoms is or how to treat them. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.
Pain in the groin area,  hip, and upper part of the leg can be produced by multiple manifestations. Certainly radiated pain from a kidney stone can be manifested in these regions, however the pain is usually colicky, and more localized to the groin. In your case, the stone is on the right and the pain in on the left, so I doubt this is the cause. Hip pain, specially with having problems to bear weight can be produced by problems directly localized in the hip joint, and for this sometimes X-rays can help to determine if there is something like osteoarthritis, or bony abnormalities.
During urologic procedures the lithotomy position can predispose to compression of the femoral nerve by the inguinal ligament, and patients may experience not only pain, but also numbness, tingling and occasionally weakness. If this is suspected, an EMG may be helpful to determine the site of the lesion, however the EMG does not always help within the first 2 weeks.
Other conditions producing pain in these region can be associated with retroperitoneal hematomas, muscular associated pain, or other radiated pain from other locations in the abdominal cavity or in the leg.
Imaging studies usually help to determine causes of pain in this region, including CT scans of the abdomen and pelvis, X-rays of the hip area, or ultrasonographic studies.
As I said, without being able to obtain a detailed history, and get a good physical and neurologic examination, I cannot determine what the cause of your pain is. I think you should discuss your symptoms with your primary physician and/or your urologist, and if needed further studies may be recommended.
I hope this information is useful.