Neurology Community
pain in arms and legs when i move them, but only when sitting or lying ...

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

pain in arms and legs when i move them, but only when sitting or lying down

Last month I was suffering from the frequent urge to urinate. ER dr's took a urine sample, and it came up negative for a UTI or any STD's. It eventually went away. It started bothering me again lately, on and off. For the past few weeks I have been experiencing arm and leg pain- both arms and legs, but only when I am sitting or lying down. it is keeping me up at night. I worked a 5 hour shift last night (cashier) and after I got home, and relaxed for a bit- when I stood up my muscles hurt bad in different parts of my legs and arms muscles. I woke up this morning stiff and could barely walk or move my arms and legs, but as the day went on and I started moving around, it went away. I also have occasional neck and back pain, but no where near as bad as my arms and legs. My doc is treating it as muscle spasms with tramadol and muscle relaxers. it's been a week, and they do NOTHING for me! Whats going on with me? What could this be? Next week, she said she will probably do blood tests & xrays to look for lupus, arthritis, and a spinal disorder. I'm worried and scared! Any idea's?
It does not sound like Lupus to me.  Sounds more arthritic in nature to me or something going on with your spine.  Have you had any imaging of your spine done?  Labs?
I don't know how much longer I can take this pain. It is getting worse! I feel like someone has beat the crap out of me! I can barely move around it hurts so bad.
I went to doc today because my symptoms are getting worse. I'm in more pain and my legs and arms are weak. Anyway, the doc said that it sounds like i have Lupus. She took some blood work on me, and I will find out what she found in a few days. If it isn't that, she will be testing me for Rheumatoid arthritis. Doing only one test at a time, because I don't have very much money. and since she feels its more than likely Lupus, we are testing for that one first. She assured me that Lupus isn't always as bad as we hear. She said I may only ever have problems with my muscles and joints, and nothing else. If it is Lupus, I really hope thats the case!
no imaging yet- that's the next step. Labs- urine and blood today. also had blood drawn in ER several months ago. I will know the result on tues or weds.- and then she will check for Arthritis, which,, I read that RA and Lupus have some of the same symptoms.
Well, keep us posted on the outcome.

All the best.
I will let you know what the results are, i should get them back by the end of this week. It is getting so much worse. The pain keeps getting more severe everyday. I work as a cashier, and work anywhere from 6 to 8 hours. I feel like it is making the pain worse. When I get home and relax, I cry from the pain. Now when I move my hands I can feel pain in my wrists and down my arms. When i move my ankles I can feel pain in my feet and my lower legs. My arms get weak easily. My arms, thumbs and hands are in constant pain at work- and sore and painful when i get home. My muscles are always aching. The doctor gave me some hydrocodones, since Tramidol and muscle relaxers did nothing for me. The hydro's help a little, but I am still in severe pain, and I am still not getting good sleep at night. My fiance says I am tossing and turning and moaning every time I move. I know this myself too, since I wake up constantly due to the pain. I'm getting depressed about this because I am sick of this pain and being miserable, I am scared and just want to know whats wrong with me!!!
Definitely sounds like you have alot of systemic inflammation.  Has the physician mentioned the possibility of prescribing a corticosteroid for you such as prednisone or decadron?  How much hydrocodone are you taking per day?  
No she has not gave me anything but muscle relaxers and pain pills. I've been taking about 2 or 3 hydrocodones a day since Friday.
Sytemic inflammation- isn't that basically what happens with Lupus and Rheumetoid Arthritis?
Oh and about the 2 or 3 pain pills a day- they are only 5mgs. and probably a contributing factor to me feeling down, next to the pain. I am prone to getting depressed anyway, because I have had depression all my life, and I am currently on meds for that as well.
Yes, systemic inflammation is present with RA and Lupus, but I cannot say for sure either is the cause.  Try discussing with your physician about the possibility of trying a low dose steroid and see if you respond. Then if you respond, I think you can back off the pain meds, which can make you more blah.  

Have you tried any OTC anti-inflammatories such as motrin/ibuprofen? (higher dosage)

I just think narcs are going to do very little for your situation.  
Yes I tried OTC ibuprofen and nothing works for me, plus I am afraid to take too much of that, because I might have an ulcer, something another doc diagnosed me with, but not for sure because I can't afford further testing on that. I'm sure the doc will give me something for inflammation as soon as she gets back the results from the bloodwork- hopefully sometime this week! Thanks very much for responding to my posts. I will let ya know what the results are as soon as I know!
Got the call today that the test for Lupus came up negative. I'm going in tomorrow to test for RA and SED rate?
My guess will be this is possibly RA.  If the RA factor and SED rate are ok I will be surprised.  
it came back positive for RA! The nurse left me a message to call back and make an appt. I know there is no cure, but what will they do for this?
The are different treatment options that can be ordered, i.e. physical therapy, steroids, DMARDs, BRMs, etc.  This will be up to your physician and you to decide what is best for you.  Try a low dose steroid first and see if you respond.  You can live a normal life with proper treatment.  

I thought it sounded like RA from the beginning.   I do wish you all the best in dealing with this.  
Thanks for answering my questions and giving me your opinions! I appreciate the time you took to respond!

~Gena
My Rf factor was 75, and SED rate was 25. She gave me more pain meds, and started me on Methotrexate. Read about the med, and it does sound a bit scary to me! Took my first dose tonight, and I am to take it once a week. I go back to see doc in three months and get blood work done to check liver and kidneys! On the Methotrexate- it says no alcohol comsumption -none at all? I like to occasionally drink a glass or two of wine.. and also says limit sun exposure, so I guess that means no sun tanning or tanning bed anymore? :-(