Neurology Community
pain in arms/shoulder/neck

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

pain in arms/shoulder/neck

I have been experiencing pain in my arms, shoulders and neck with tingling sensation for the past 2 and 1/2 months. Been to neurologist and he suspected Carpal Tunnel Syndrome and suggested me to undergo EMG. The test came out negative and then was asked to undergo an MRI of my neck as he suspected Paresthesia. The results show that my cervical lordosis is straightened. Can someone help me with my problem ? Is there anything that can be done to improve the pain?  
Hello.  

The symptoms you are experiencing may be related to a cervical disk syndrome.  Straightening of the cervical lordosis with neck and radicular pain radiating down the arm can be symptoms of an extruded disk fragment. This could eventually lead to cervical spondylosis with worsening of your symptoms.

Unless there is significant evidence of compression of the spinal cord or radicular motor loss in an extremity secondary to severe nerve compression, the treatment option would be medical, such as analgesics, tranquilizers, muscle relaxants, and local heat, along with physical rehabilitation techniques.

Surgical options include posterior or anterior decompression of the nerve roots, spinal cord, or both.

Consult your neurologist on the possible treatment options available to you.

Good luck.
I had similar symptoms a few years ago but I was diagnosed with a frozen shoulder.  It was very painful and I had the pain in the neck, shoulder, and tingling down my arm.  It took me 1-1/2 years for it to eventually go away.  Nothing helped but physical therapy.  I had 5 cortisone shots and took tons of pills but they never helped.  Just time and constant PT.  Hope this helps.
HI,

Thanks a lot for the suggestions. My neurologist said that the straightening of cervical lordosis is not abnormal, he seems to think that the pain and everything is not related to this. But i did some research myself and found that there was a correlation between the two.

I did suggest PT too but my neurologist was skeptical about it. he asked me not to take any step till they diagnose the problem....its really hurting me a lot!!
Hi.

You could try and take OTC pain medications to help relieve the pain as well as apply heat to the affected areas.

If you are convinced that your symptoms are indeed related to the MRI findings, you could opt to have a second opinion from another neurologist.

Hope this helps.