Neurology Expert Forum
pain in fingers

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

pain in fingers

I don't know if this would be considered a sleep related problem or not but it seems to be a result of restless and or tense sleep. Sometimes I wake up and my arms and hands are numb usually from the elbow down or my fingers are throbbing. I notice that I often sleep with my wrists bent downwards and my arms curled or my hands under my chin. I started having pain in the finger joints along with weakness and a kind of heaviness in my arms about a year ago. Not all fingers are affected. I've been to two doctors and was checked for rheumatoid arthritis but was told the tests were negative. The doctor gave me some anti-inflamatory cream. I also went to a Chiroparactor while in the states this summer and he "adjusted" my neck saying that there was probably a pinched nerve or something. The "adjustments" were not successful. I would like to know the cause of the pain and weakness and am interested if you think there is any relationship between the numbness I experience at night or not. I also have other sleeping problems like restless legs, insomnia, and trouble sleeping on my back. I prefer sleeping on my stomach. I've been trying to train myself to sleep on my back but always end up turning over. If I do succeed in falling asleep on my back, which is rare I usually wake myself up with snoring soon after falling asleep. I'm also a teeth grinder. I often take sleeping medication to get to sleep. I try not too take much, usually only half a pill. There are no sleep clinics here in Japan that I know of. The doctors I've talked to have never heard of such a place. I look forward to your input.

_
Well, it certainly could be related to the way you're sleeping - from a neurologic point of view, it is possible that the sensations you're experiencing could be related to the nerves in you're arm.  Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, which is due to a compression of a nerve (the Median Nerve) at the wrist.  It frequently causes pain and numbness in the hand / fingers but can present in a variety of ways and is typically worse (and initially presenting) at night.  Another possibility could be compression of the Ulnar Nerve at the elbow.  From your history, it's difficult to assure this is a neurologic problem  - but these could be possibilities. A good neurologic evaluation and, importantly, an EMG (an electrical study of nerves and muscles) can assess these possibilities.