Neurology Community
pain in temple months after head trauma

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

pain in temple months after head trauma

Hello, I received a blow with a hammer to the side of my head 5 months ago, I attended the A & E department and was given an MRI scan and they said there was no serious damage. This last week I have been suffering from what I can only describe as a "scary" sensation / pain in my left temple and the pain radiates about an inch all around. I only have to slightly touch my temple and it really hurts. During my injury I also saw an opthamologist who told me I had a slight bleed to the back of my left retina but it will clear up, and my sight is now fine, no more black dots in my vision.
I am concerned as I also received a blow to my left ring finger during this attack as I was trying to block the hammer and the doctor who took care of me at A&E said the finger was fractured and put it in a splint, I researched my finger damage myself on the internet as I didn't think it was fractured, it turned out I was correct and that the ligament had detached from the D.I.P. joint, (i think it was called that) so I returned to the A&E and the same day they operated on my finger and re-attached the ligament, my finger is now fine, just a little stiff. I am concerned as the same doctor told me that my head was fine, and now 5 months later Im still in pain and I'm told that I'm often slurring my speech.
The sensation makes me feel as if I just want to get a scalpol and sort of slash the vein in my temple to release the pressure, I'm starting to get really frightened. Today the pain is at its climax so I shall be visiting A&E again in the morning.
Thanks for reading and any insight into post head trauma would be appreciated.
best wishes,
david..
Thank you for your question. Although without being able to examine you I can not offer you the specific advice on diagnosis and treatment that you need, but I would try to provide you some relevant information about your health concern.

After months of head injury such kind of symptoms like pain, paralysis , numbness symptoms may be common due to damaged or compressed part of brain and may remain symptomatic or progress in future. However, symptomatic relief, physiotherapy, avoiding any triggering factors and life style modification help you in certain extent. Please arrange an appointment with a neurologist who will evaluate the further prognosis here and can provide you an appropriate treatment. Hope this helps.