Neurology Community
pain in thigh

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

pain in thigh

hi ihave bad pain in my upper thigh that goes to the knee its swollen and pain from the inside. sharp pain will come that make me jump. i had a ultrasound. there was no blood clot. they not sure what it is. it hur worst when i lay down.it very painful in the inside and numb on the outside please help me.no will tell me anything. or it might be a nerve inflammed. please .
                          thank you marta
Hi Marta,

I have had a similiar problem as you. I had gallbladder surgery in July and ever since then my thigh and area around my leg have been numb. My primary doctor diagnosed this as shingles (no blisters) and gave me Valtrex and a steriod. It helped with the sharp burning pains I was getting. I have also been taking Cymbalta for depression (rough year in 2006) which is supposed to help with the pain. A little over a month ago the pain started up again. The area is numb but feels like a bad sunburn (the skin is cool but sore to the touch). I also get the pain as if I am being stabbed in the leg. It hurts when I stand, sit or lie down. I also think it's worse because of the cold weather. I went to a dermatologist yesterday who said that shingles causes pain but not numbness and suggested I see a neuro doctor because it sounds like a nerve problem. I have an appt on the 31st.

I wish I would have gone when this first started instead of 6 months later. Make an appointment with a neuro doctor and have it checked out. I will let you know what mine tells me after my appointment. Good luck and feel better.