Neurology Expert Forum
pain many years after fusion of cervical vertebrae 4, 5, and 6

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I broke my neck 14 years ago, and underwent a successful surgery which used bone from my hip to fuse C-4,C-5, and C-6.  I didn't suffer any paralyses, and have only minimal limits to my range of motion in turning my neck to the right.  However, yesterday during the day I got a severe pain in my neck and the right part of my shoulder that feels exactly like what my broken neck felt like in the 4-5 hours before I got treatment.  It hasn't gone away, and I'm wondering if I should rush to get treatment, or if this could be the beginning of some osteoarthritic condition.  I didn't have any trauma or exercise-related strain or pull when this set on yesterday.  
Dear Katie:

With one episode it is difficult to tell you that it is or isn't your neck.  I would call and let your neurologist know about what happened.  It might be a good idea to get a neurological exam and maybe a MRI just to check things out (especially if the neurological exam suggests something).  

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD
Katie,

wow..14 years and no pain.  I had anterior disc and fusion on C56 2 years ago and still in much pain (of course i need 3 more)
who are your surgeons...better check that out. HOpe you feel
better
God bless jo-ann

On March 30 of this year, i underwent a spinal fusion on
C-7, T-1,  I had some spurs removed from a 3 year old fusion
on c-3, c-4, c-5, c-6.  I also had two pinched nerves. I am told that I have a degenerative disc disorder.
  The problem is that I still have severe pain
in my left arm. But mostly only when I relax.  If I keep moving,
I'm fine. I cant sleep, the pain wakes me up.  The days are
tolerable, because I can keep moving.
  My surgeion says I should have "no Pain".  He has done
another CT scan and Mylegram, and an MRI.  He even opened
me up again and went in to see if there was something that
didnt show in the tests.  He said "no results".  He is
surprised that I am still in pain.  All pain from my right
side has disapeard after the first surgery.
  I am so tired.  So depressed.  I cant relax or sleep.
Pain pills dont work, some muscle relaxers help for a short
time.
  What do I do next??  I have to get on with my life.  I need
to get back to work, I am self supporting. I am a 56 yr old
female.  Can someone give me some advise?

Thank You
LadyJo  in  Michigan
I too have had a fusion in my neck 1 1/2 years ago and on the most part it's been ok, but like the last 2 days the pain is bad. Pain in both arms, numb hands sleepless nights. I'm getting tired of the late night infomercials. Does anyone have some encouraging words. I need some help!
Dear Ladyjo:

I am sorry to hear of your pain.  What do the rehab people say about your pain?  One of the problems with surgery, is that often there is incomplete relief of pain.  Sounds like things have been investigated pretty thoroughly.  I wouldn't give up, I would get another opinion about matters.  I am not suggesting that your neurosurgeon did something wrong or what he/she is telling you is not correct.  But sometimes a fresh pair of eyes might pick up something, or another approach.  But, first I would talk with your rehab specialist and see what she/he thinks.

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD
thanks.

CCF Neuro MD

Dear Dr's.
  Since i wrote to you on 4/25, i have spoken to my neuro-surgeon about what he did when he opened me up the second time, he said he romoved a lot of "rapid growing" scar tissue from my new fusion, C-7 & T-1.  He said there is not any way he can prdict if this will happen again.  he said he has never seen this before.  He was amazed.
  I will speak to my family dr.  and see if she will refer me to another dr. for another opinion/option.
  Thank yu for taking the time to answer my letter.
***@****
A related discussion, Unorganized Fusion Surgery was started.
A related discussion, Multiple surgeries ahead was started.