Neurology Expert Forum
pain

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

pain

i have been having this pain that at first started in my right arm just above the elbow. i thought it went away but it came back and this time the pain was also in my shoulder now my neck and left arm hurt also. it seems to get worse when i go to work what could this mean is it something serious?
1 Comment
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I cannot tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

If your pain is persistent, you should seek a medical opinion on the cause of your pain.  Some of the questions they may ask you may include: do you have numbness/tingling?, do you have radiation of your pain?, do you have any burning or electrical sensations?, are you experiencing neck pain?, have you had injury or trauma to your neck?.  With a detailed history and clinical exam, they will be able to assess whether the pain is caused by damage to the nerves.  They may choose to pursue further workup with MRI imaging or EMG/NCS (electromyography/nerve conduction studies).  If it is determined that you may be suffering from neuropathic pain, there are various medical options to help treat the pain.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.