Neurology Expert Forum
perineural arachnoid cyst

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

perineural arachnoid cyst
Hi I have had burning pain, pins & needles (mainly from waist down but also around neck for the last 10 years.  I have been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and IBS.  I also have intermittant urinary incontinence lasting for 4-6 weeks at a time then this stops abruptly for some months, this has happened about 5/6 times in the last 2-3 years.  I have come across an MRI scan that I had done 9 years ago that states that I have a tiny perineural arachnoid cyst at the L5/S1 on the left side in the foramen.  Could this be responsible for the kind of symptoms I am describing I am female aged 49.

It would be very unlikely for the cyst to be causing pins and needles sensation in your legs, especially if it's both sides that are affected.  And it's definitely not the cause of the neck sensations (the cyst is way too low and localized to the nerves innervating your leg), nor does it explain the urinary problems.  Consider an EMG to help further evaluate the abnormal sensory problems. As for the urinary symptoms, it could be a nerve problem and can be further evaluated with urodynamic studies done by a urologist. Good luck.
My son now 15 had a perineural arachnoid cyst in the exact same place when he was 9.  His symptoms matched yours exactly.  He had a successful removal and is fine.  Good luck.
I was diagnosed with multiple intradural arachnoid cysts in my neck and thoracic region.  I've undergone a four level cervical spine fusion due the wearing away of the vertebra.  Last August I went back to have the thoracic cysts deflated (seven laminectomies) and the neck was revisited to address another cyst not addressed in round 1.  A cyst at the T-11, 12 level was not addressed because the neurosurgeon didn't feel comfortable doing so for fear of leakage.  The MRI I had two weeks ago shows a hematoma at C6, size 2.5 cm.  Have no clue yet as to what is going to be done, if anything.  I still experience excruciating pain upon upper body exertion like reaching, lifting, vacuuming, being vertical too long -- living.  Periodically, I experience what I call bee stings in my upper back.  I have bladder and bowel problems, occasional sciatica, despite having undergone a L5,S1 cage fusion in 1999. Upon my asking prior to surgery whether I would get better was told yes.  The only improvement has been in the bladder urgency problem.  It's not quite as severe as it was prior to surgery.
My son is 11 years old and has had a headache, rt. arm and hand pain and numbness, rt. leg pain and numbness, rt. eye crossed slightly for going on 3 weeks now.  He had an arachnoid cyst when he was 5 years old and had a shunt put in for that. When he was 7 months, he had a shunt put in for hydrocephalus. The doctors can't seem to find anything wrong.  What do I do?  Could this have anything to do with his cyst?  The cyst was located under his brain, behind his eyes.  He also had an early onset of puberty at about 7-8 years old.  Is this all related somehow?  Does anyone know anything else about this? HELP?
Try posting your questions to the doctor between 8:00 a.m. and 10:00 a.m. (Keep trying about every ten minutes)  They only accept 2 questions per day and that seems to be about when they reset the forum.  Good luck!
A related discussion, How Long Can You Live With A Tarlov Cyst was started.