periperal neuropathy
Hi, My mom has Periperal Neuropathy and is unable to walk, she was walking 5 weeks ago then her muscles just gave out. She is have therapy in a rehab center it is going very slow just wondering if anyone knows if her muscle will come back and will she beable to walk again? She is working really hard and not making much impoverment.

Terri
How old is she?  What is the cause of her neuropathy?
Depending on the cause there can be improvement with treatment.
Hi there. I can understand your mother’s mental state at the moment. Prognosis for neuropathy depends on the underlying cause. The earlier the diagnosis of neuropathy is made and treatment started, the greater the chance that the nerve damage will can be slowed or reversed and better prognosis. Best of the cases a damaged nerve regenerates, nerve cells are irreplaceable if dead.
The extent of recovery is linked to the extent of the damage and a person’s age and general health status. Recovery may take weeks to years because neurons grow very slowly. So it isvery difficult to predict the prognosis at the outset.
Some neuropathies are however fatal like Charcot marie tooth dsease, diphtheria and botulism. Consult your neurologist for a detailed discussion of her symptoms. Take care.