Neurology Community
periventricular white matter disease
About This Community:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

periventricular white matter disease

My husband had several mini strokes and he resent was diagnosed with this condition what does this mean?
Related Discussions
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank

Hi, here is some quoted literature “Periventricular white matter changes means that there has been some change in the structure of the white matter near the ventricles of the brain. This finding does not necessarily mean that something serious, like a disease, has caused it. In fact, the most common cause of periventricular white matter changes is normal aging that is not associated with a disease process.

In people over age 65, research has shown that periventricular white matter changes are found between 30% and 80% of the time when an MRI scan of the brain is performed. Possible causes of periventricular white matter changes include Binswanger's disease, stroke, migraine headaches, and CADASIL (Cerebral Autosomal Dominant Arteriopathy with Subcortical Infarcts and Leukoencephalopathy)”

Taken from http://www.medfriendly.com/periventricularwhitematter.html
Blank
I have a 6 yr old who was diagnosised with periventricular luekodystropy prior to age one.  From birth he was deficient in motor skills to include speaking, walking, crawling, etc.  My concern is he has overcome these infractions, but he is very hyperactive and very different.  He would rather play alone than with others, very smart has some problems in Math, but says he can not control his thoughts which prompt him to never sit still, etc.  Doctors have evaluated and evaluated and evaluated, my question is what problems can occur after such trauma to the brain?  Is there a chemical missing that doesn't help him to control his self? Where should we be look and what should we be looking for.  This is very frustrating and hard for my son and family.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Neurology Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...