periventricular white matter disease
My husband had several mini strokes and he resent was diagnosed with this condition what does this mean?

Hi, here is some quoted literature “Periventricular white matter changes means that there has been some change in the structure of the white matter near the ventricles of the brain. This finding does not necessarily mean that something serious, like a disease, has caused it. In fact, the most common cause of periventricular white matter changes is normal aging that is not associated with a disease process.

In people over age 65, research has shown that periventricular white matter changes are found between 30% and 80% of the time when an MRI scan of the brain is performed. Possible causes of periventricular white matter changes include Binswanger's disease, stroke, migraine headaches, and CADASIL (Cerebral Autosomal Dominant Arteriopathy with Subcortical Infarcts and Leukoencephalopathy)”

Taken from http://www.medfriendly.com/periventricularwhitematter.html
I have a 6 yr old who was diagnosised with periventricular luekodystropy prior to age one.  From birth he was deficient in motor skills to include speaking, walking, crawling, etc.  My concern is he has overcome these infractions, but he is very hyperactive and very different.  He would rather play alone than with others, very smart has some problems in Math, but says he can not control his thoughts which prompt him to never sit still, etc.  Doctors have evaluated and evaluated and evaluated, my question is what problems can occur after such trauma to the brain?  Is there a chemical missing that doesn't help him to control his self? Where should we be look and what should we be looking for.  This is very frustrating and hard for my son and family.
You have described my grandson exactly. He is 5 and has received help for his speech which is ongoing and still a challenge, and also OT. He has been diagnosed with ADHD, developmental delays, and gotten plenty of "I don't know what going on, let me refer you to __________(fill in a variety of specialists). He is also VERY ADHD. He was tested school and found to be smart and able to retain 100%, but yet, following simple expectations seems unrealistic with his behavior and complete inability to be still or quiet for any period of time. Recently, he had an MRI and appears to have atypical perivascular spaces(Virchow-Robbin). I see that your post was in 2010, have you found any information, or anything that is useful in helping your child to adjust? We just don't know how to help him. He is being followed by a neurologist and multiple therapists, with very little improvement. Any help welcomed, Thanks!  --Linda