Neurology Community
peroneal sensory neuropathy

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

peroneal sensory neuropathy

I have just been diagnosed with superficial peroneal neuropathy as the cause of the numbness, tingling and pain in one foot, subsequent to knee arthroscopy a year ago.  The sensations haven't improved over the elapsed time.  The problem is that all the sensory nerve maps I can find indicate that the peroneal nerve innervates the top of the foot, not the bottom where my numbness is.  There is no motor involvement, it's totally sensory.  REALLY aggravating, especially since there seems to be nothing I can do about it.  And I went through the NASTY cattle prod/EMG studies just to come to that conclusion.  

But--does he have the wrong nerve?  Or is it a branch that innervates the bottom of the foot and he didn't bother to get that specific?  I hate it when MDs assume that patients don't know anything or will just accept any lame explanation.