Neurology Community
pineal gland cyst in child

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

pineal gland cyst in child

Hi i am writing this because my 5yr old son just had a mri because of 3 severe headaches...about 2 days apart.  The mri showed a cyst on the pineal gland.  The radiologist suggested having a followup done in 6 mos but my pediatrician said they decided to have him see a neurosurgeon now because its pressing against something ???  My husband and I are numb at this point...we are scheduled to go Dec 11th but would also like to get another opinion...we live about an hr away from bostons children hospital and will be seeing if we can get him an apt there.  Should we see a neurosurgeon or neurologist??    Also how common is this??  Thanks Donna
Pineal cysts are usually benign tumors of the pineal gland. Pineal gland is the small gland on the base of the brain which produces some very important hormones that are used to control almost all functions of the body so it is indispensable to the organism. The cysts are pockets of some liquid, usually liquor or intercellular liquid, sometimes even blood, that are located on the pineal gland. Their origin is usually unknown, there are many factors that can contribute to their appearance. They present the problem if they are applying pressure on the gland thus interfering with its function which can lead to different kinds of symptoms like headaches and eyesight problems (pineal gland is situated very close to the optical nerve). They are usually benign, which means that they rarely make metastases in other tissues, but if they enlarge they can pose a real thread to the functioning of the body. That’s why they are surgically taken out if that is possible. The approach is difficult because pineal gland is placed on the base of the skull and that’s why pineal cysts are often impossible to treat surgically. If possible the cyst should be removed. It is the best that you talk to your doctor for possible treatment possibilities.
Hi.

Please DISREGARD the previous post.  I confused it with a pituitary gland tumor.

In response to your query, pineal gland cysts are benign, and most often, are asymptomatic. However, it is when symptoms, such as headaches, occur that they begin to affect one's daily life activities.  These symptoms are usually as a result of pressure when the pineal cyst compresses adjacent brain structures.

You should bring your son to a neurosurgeon to evaluate his condition and to propose the best treatment option possible.

Pineal gland cysts are usually not emergent situations.  You could wait until your Dec 11 appointment to have your son checked out.  However, if there is any worsening of his condition, you could consult a physician as soon as possible.

Good luck.

Hi ryan,
How is your son now? Are there any new symptoms evident?
Pineal gland cyst is benign cyst, which are not harmful until they grow in size and cause pressure symptoms. Usually they would have symptoms like headache, irritability, vomiting etc.
There is this optic nerve which runs close to place where pineal gland is present.
Hence any visual disturbance in your son should alert you to see a neurosurgeon at earliest for a timely intervention.
Hello...sorry i havent been online...thankyou both for your comments.  I have scheduled another apt after my dec 11th apt w/ a diff doctor....JUST TO BE SAFE.  i'd like to see if they agree, ya know?  the reason they did an mri was because of severe headaches...they found the cyst and they said it is pressing against another region in the brain.  But no other symptoms...today he stayed home from school w/ an upset stomach.  (hopefully not nausea)...he seems ok now.  I will keep you posted.
Hi, Ryan,

I was looking for information on pineal galnd cyst and ran into your email discussion on your son's pineal gland cyst. How is your son doing now? Did your son have the cyst removed?

Thanks.