Neurology Expert Forum
pins and needles- hands and feet

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

pins and needles- hands and feet

About a year ago I noticed when standing that my feet had a pins and needles feeling on the bottom only. Since then, it comes and goes. It seems to be worse when it's cold out (winter months). Sometimes my feet feel very cold to me, but when I touch them, they don't feel as cold on the outside. I told my doc, who didn't seem overly concerned, but did an ANA that originally came back borderline positive. A retest was negative, so lupus was ruled out. Sometimes I notice a similar feeling in my hands, but very faint. After noticing these symptoms, I did some research and of course found that MS can cause these. Since then, I've almost convinced myself that I have MS. I sometimes notice other symptoms (burning, itching - neither are severe). I'm wondering if I'm having these because I'm looking for these symptoms of MS (can this happen?) or if I need further testing to put my mind at ease (or not). On two separate occasions, my pinky toes have gone numb for a short period of time, not at the same time. I was unsteady one afternoon, but had ear pain the week before and ear popping too. I feel like I'm trying to make something out of nothing, yet at the same time, I'm concerned. I'm 34 yr old white female with 2 kids. I don't have time for this! I only notice the pins and needles when I'm standing on my feet. If there isn't pressure on them, I don't notice it. Any comments are appreciated.
Your symptoms are not typical of MS, rather it appears that you may have what's called a peripheral neuropathy (PN), an abnormality of the nerves or nerve coverings to your limbs.  The pins and needles sensations that you describe in your feet (and sometimes hands) are characteristic of PNs. Many things can cause this including vitamin deficiencies, hereditary factors, infections, electrolyte abnormalities, autoimmune abnormalities,demyelinating diseases (affecting the nerve covering but NOT MS), exposure to toxins such as chemicals and heavy metals (arsenic, mercury, lead) as well a number of other things.The problem is outside of the brain. Talk to our primary care doc to see if they can run some routine tests just to make sure that nothing easily correctable such as a vitamin B12 deficieny is missed. If the problems persist, consider getting an EMG which is a muscle-nerve test and a neuro consult. Good luck.
Pins and needles sensation is a serious symptom and I would advice you to go to the doctor. It doesn't necesserily mean MS: there are various neuralgias that can produce this feeling, but it can be MS as well.
Hi, FYI If you are interested in learning more about Peripheral Neuropathy there is a National Peripheral Neuropathy Conference to be held in Tigard, Oregon (suberb of Portland, Oregon) on June 21-24, 2002.
For more information go to: http://communities.msn.com/NationalPeripheralNeuropathyConference/_whatsnew.msnw
A related discussion, weakness and leg pain on right side of body was started.
A related discussion, PIN AND NEEDLE was started.
A related discussion, Pins and Needles every day and night was started.
I have severe pins & needles & a burning feeling in my feet & sometimes hands. Its progressively getting worse. It doesn't matter if I'm sitting, standing or laying. Its the worse when I'm in my recliner or have shoes on. I don't have a clue what this is. I also swell up really bad. My doctor even sent me to the emergency room one time but they only gave me hose. I have irregular heartbeat & my mom died of cardiomynopathy? (Bad spellin, its enlargement of the heart). So dunno if that's anything to do with it? My daughter & sister both have type 1 diabetes also. I do check my blood sugar & its been fine. I do run low a lot. This really hurts bad & I want to figure out what it is. The doctor don't really say much when I bring it up. If anyone has any advice, please let me know! Thanks!