Neurology Community
pins and needles in legs and arms

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

pins and needles in legs and arms

I'm a 37 year old healthy male and I've been feeling pins and needle sensations in both my lower legs and feet and both my hands and forearms for the last 12 days.  It all started when I was using an orbital power sander for about 2 days straight, refinishing some kitchen cabinets.  I was standing barefooted on a cement slab on one of the days, and barefooted standing on a ladder for the second day.  The tingling started on the evening of the second day and although it has lessened to some degree it still persists.  I went to my gp on the 4th day, and explained what I was feeling, he said it was most likely from the sanding and that my nervous system was irritated and over reacting.  He told me it could last for a couple of weeks.  I went back to my gp again yesterday and told him it is still happening, he says he still thinks it is from the sanding, but he is referring me to a neurologist for an examination.  I've been worring myself sick by looking up symptoms on the internet.  I haven't really had any other symptoms, but the possibility of MS is terrifying me.  Has anyone out there experienced something like this?
I may not be of much help, but I too am looking for answers and just want you to know that you are not alone.
Now, as far as your tingling, I may be wrong in saying that when BOTH legs are tinginling it is NOT neurological, same with the hands. NOW if you right hand and right foot were tingling then it is neurological. I am sure that someone may be able to correct me if I am wrong. I only say this because this is what I was told by my Neuro's. I have left side numbness in both upper and lower extremities.

Perhaps you pinched something when you were standing barefoot on a ladder for several hours. I find it hard to believe that you would still have buzzing sensations from a sander for this long.
Good luck in your search for answers!!
**BlondePony**
Thanks so much for your reply.  My gp did say something about MS not normally starting out so symmetrical, (both hands and both feet), but he didn't rule out the possibility.  I'm having a hard time accepting the sander as the cause also.  But it could have been a trigger for something else.  I have to wait until next week to see a neuro, that's the hardest part for me..... waiting and wondering.  I really appreciate your input, I hope you get some answers for your numbness problems also.  
Maxgp
I'm kind of having a hard time with the whole sander story.  I would agree that the sander may have triggered something more.  You can have tingling in both hands, feet, legs, etc., at the same time.  I know because I've been there - don't that.  Have anyone mentioned Peripheral neuropathy to you?  And, are you a Diabetic by any chance?  These are two things l would ask about if you haven't
already.

Good luck. God Bless
Deborah KY
Thanks for your input, I had a diabetes test, vitamin level test, thyroid test and they all came out normal.  I'll deffinitely ask about the peripheral neuropathy.  I won't be able to see a neurologist until next week, so I guess I will just have to stay calm and not freak myself out.  Thanks again.

I have had pins and needles in both arms and legs as well for the past several weeks. I went to a neurologist, general practioner, and ENT. I was tested for various items. The neurologist did an exam and stated nuerolgoically I am ok. I am going to get an MRI of the brain to rule out anything else that might be happening. I was told I have some high blood pressure and borderline diabetic. I was hoping the pins and needles can be explained by the above average glucose level in my bloodstream. I am worried as I get the MRI on Thursday afternoon