Neurology Community
pins and needles in lips and tongue

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

pins and needles in lips and tongue

I have been getting pins and needles in my lips and tongue recently, usually before I eat and normally it lasts for about an hour or so after eating before it goes away.  I sometimes feel really light headed and shaky before meals which can come on suddenly and only goes after eating any advice to what may be causing this?
Possibly low blood sugar?  Are you diabetic?  Even if not, your blood glucose could be dropping before meals.  I have had episodes of hypoglycemia numerous times in the past--had gotten very shaky, weak, nervous-feeling and would feel like i needed/wanted to eat something right away that was cold and sweet (not sure why the cold part), and sure enough I tested my blood sugar once when it happened with my father's glucose monitor and it was very low.  You could be having episodes of hypoglycemia--look it up and see if it might fit.  If so, you should eat small meals often, eat first thing in the morning (your blood sugar will have dropped overnight) and not eat a lot of carbs/high-sugar food in any one sitting--try to keep your blood glucose levels on an even keel.  If you do get those symptoms, try drinking orange juice or some other juice immediately (it will get into your bloodstream more quickly that food) and see if you feel better soon thereafter.  You mentioned you felt better an hour after eating, that's why I mention it.  I believe low blood sugar can cause tingling in lips, etc., as well.  You should go to a doctor and see why this is happening, and even if it turns out you are having episodes of hypoglycemia, you should find out why.
I have had a tingling senstion around the edges my tongue and on the inside of my lips as well as under my tongue.  My mouth feels dry all the time.  What can this be.  
I have been working down in congo for the past couple of months and have been experiencing pins and needles on my tip of my tongue and the back of my tongue,It has only been on a couple of occasions the first time was about a month ago and it was intermitten for 24 hours, i have it just now it started about 3 hours ago and has been constant for this period.

I was wondering if it was something to do with the heat maybe?
my sister is having pins n needle effect, and doctoer says it must be a fungal infection around he throught . he has given her some drops to use4 times a day, if that does not help, then we really don't know what it is !