Neurology Community
pins and needles in lower lip and hands

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

pins and needles in lower lip and hands

Hi, I am a 29 year old woman and i'm experiencing pins and needles in my lower lip and hands. It started yesterday and although my lip feels okay, my hands go numb and i experience a burning sensation in them. I have been exposed to direct sunlight for several hours over the past two days. I am wondering if that could be a reason why i am experiencing this?  
Hi. In my experience, this happen before I  get a migraine. It is my "aura", warning that a migraine is on the way.
Not all migraines result in a headache.This could be as far as it goes, numbness in your lips and hands. Some people experience visual problems, zig zag vision or flashes.

I doubt that being exposed to the sun has anything to do with it. You would have developed a headache or a  low grade fever by now if you had heat stroke.
Have you checked with your dr yet? Cath278.
Hi, It sounds that either your symptoms could be due to injury to a nerve, pressure on spinal or peripheral nerves (neuropathy), vitamin deficiency, lack of blood supply due to cholesterol plaque from atherosclerosis in the extremities, viral infection and use of certain medications.  In addition, vessel blockage can also cause pain, numbness, and tingling due to reduce blood supply and lead to numbness. Please consult your doctor to get all these possibilities evaluation in your case for further assessment. Hope this helps.
Thanks for your feedback. I really appreciate it, it helps alot! I have not been to my doctor yet but if these symptoms pesist i will be making an appointment soon. I did injure my back last week and went to see the doctor. It is possible that i might have injured a nerve.
When I first had symptoms I was in Michigan and just got done swimming in the lake. I got out and couldn't feel my fingers and there was a tingling sensation, also my lips had gone very dark and felt like pins&needles. I didn't worry too much about it but asked my mum about it and she told me that if it happened again that we'd go and see somebody about it. It happened again about a month later on a slightly colder day so we went to my doctor, who told me it's Raynaud's syndrome.

It just happens when there has been an significant change in temperature or when you're stressed. Mine is usually worse in the winter since I live in Alaska now, but still happens in summer, too. It's to do with the blood vessels in your fingers being constricted from a lack of blood. It's nothing serious so don't worry yourself. If you'd like more information go here: http://www.medic8.com/healthguide/articles/raynauds.html - hope I helped!

Maddie.
(:
Thanks Maddie! Yes, you helped! I was a little freaked out when it started but now not so much. If it were serious, something bad would've happened by now but I'm okay. I know that the change in temperature is one of the main causes for the tingling sensation. Everytime I wash my hands with cold water, I experience pins & needles. Yesterday, at the grocery store it happened when I was in the fresh produce section by the fridges. I've also been stressed lately! Much appreciated, thank you!
No problem. :)