Neurology Expert Forum
pins and needles including numbness in left great toe

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

About two months ago the outside edge and tip of my great toe on the left became numb with tingling in both legs. I had chiropractic adjustments which did not change the numbness and I began to get pins and needles with shooting nerve pains all over my body including my head, arms, both legs and increase discomfort in lower back, mid back and neck and right shoulder.
I decided to discontinue chiropractics until I could get a clear idea of my problem.
I have had neck pain since I was in my late teens with chiropractics helping to increase full mobility. Up to this time I had never any pins and needle sensations and I was an extremely active person in my late forties.
At the present time the only treatment that gives me relief is doing weekly message and not doing any of my normal routines. Once I begin a task as simple as lifting a light laundry basket or any physical lifting or pushing it results that evening in being symptomatic.
Today as an example, I felt pretty good all day and did mild lifting and light mosaic work over a table top.  Tonight I again have the pins and needles but now my tongue and lips are also involved. People I have seen seem to think it may be siatic (sciatic) related and or mild arthritis. I wonder if it is neck related?  The nerve sensations really has me very concerned. I want to begin exercising and doing what is need to correct this.
I wonder if the tingling is a sign of a more serious problem.  Your opinons and suggestions would be helpful in my continued search for causes and restoration.
Thank you
Anika
It is probably time to move from the chiropracter to a neurologist/medical professional. While chiropracty may be benefical for some people, it should at least be an adjunt along with a medical opinion also. For example, neck chiropracty can be detrimental in patients with ankylosing spondylitis (due to joint instability) or connective tissue diseases (due to blood vessels prone to tearing).

In any case, your symptoms could localize to the cervical spine (although the tongue and lips are above this level, numbness of the tongue and lips in isolation to other signs in the face/neck suggests a non-neurological problem like hyperventilation or an electrolyte, vitamin, or hormone (ie thyroid, calcium) related disorder, testable by some simple blood tests at the neurologists office). You would need a formal neurological examination, followed by an MRI of the cervical spine and lumbar spine if necessary. You can continue exercising but symptoms to be more concerned about would be weakness in the leg(s), increased tone/spaticity in the legs, or inability to urinate. I cannot give you a formal opinion though and you should get this checked up in case there is a treatable disorder

Good luck
Hi there:  I am in the same boat as you with all the tingling, numbness etc. but don't have any injury to account for it.  After three MRI's, EMG's and an EEG, my neuro is still at a loss.  All he can do is continue to monitor me and keep re-assessing me each year.  The evenings and the nights are the worse for my nerve pain and tingling.  It's almost like I had a stroke on the left side, as it affects my walking, strength and flexibility.  The numbness affects my four extremities and I can't feel the toes on my left foot most of the time.  Mine started in the fall of 2001, with a sore foot, charley like cramps in my leg that never stopped and then foot drop.  I have had physio and I continue to keep as active as I can, aquatic exercises, golfing (but must take a cart).  I miss walking the most but I don't do well in traffic as it seems my central nervous system is also affected.  I have hyper reflexes and an extreme startle reponse.  The only meds I take are neurontin and I rub my foot and leg with aspercream.  Sometimes it feels like the top of my hand or foot is on fire, or other times they feel like they are cold and dead.  I have retired, since my office working days are over as I don't have the dexterity or manual skills anymore.  I will be 60 next year, so at least I had 55 good years and I hope to be able to enjoy life to the best of my ability for many more.  You just have to keep on going and get involved in groups or activities that can help you. When you are busy, the pain doesn't seem as bad.  My speech is also affected, it comes and goes and sometimes I am very normal but there are days when my symptoms just seem to overwhelm me and I rest, that is all that you can do.  So, please hang in there, continue to monitor your symptoms and keep a diary of any changes. I don't have low B12 but since Perniciouso Anemia runs in my family, I get B12 shots and take B12 supplements.  I also am not depressed, never was and my doctors have ruled that out.  I think anybody who has an unknown diagnosis for a medical disorder is suspected of being "DEPRESSED".  Sure, you may become depressed if you let all this get the better of you, but I don't think depression can cause this type of pain.  Good luck and you are not alone, there seems to be thousands of people experiencing similar problems, but who don't seem to be getting answers.  However, nobody else really knows what each individual is going through until they walk in their shoes and we all respond to pain and treatments in different ways.  God Bless, The Canadian
Hi well it looks like we have alot in common I'm 41 and have been having alot of the same symptoms. Let me start with my med. history      . In my 20's I started working at a flower nursery doing heavy lifting potting soil and peat moss and the such.In my late 20's I started getting crooks in my neck, burning sensation going down the back of my arm and I would wake up in the middle of the night with  my hands being numb and slow to respond when i tried to make a fist. I saw a neurosurgon and after a MRI & milagram I had a disc ectomyc4-c5& c5-c6with fuision titanum plate and screws. That was in 1998. Now I have a large bulging disc c6-c7 with pressure on my spinal cord so I'll be going under the knife again soon and that is just my neck..I have 2 bulging discs in my backat L3-L4&L5-L6. I'm just watching my back, it is bad too at times but it will have too get alot worse for me to have backsurgery. I do know that this stuff can be inherited my mom had the bad back. I think it is very important to get medical advise.Do you get worse tingling when you lie down.I have the toe thing being numb that is too but I also have gout in it very bad so I don't know if it is the same..Well that is all I have..ps i live in central time what is a good time to post a thread?
I live in Atlantic, Canada and my last MRI showed mild spinal degeneration, but I think that is quite normal for people my age, late 50's, according to doctor.  I don't have any accidental cause for my symptoms but I still think I had a post viral infection, which caused these neurological symptoms.  I have a history of allergies and in the fall of 2001, I had a fever, rash, high temperature and then everything went downhill after that.  My brother has to wear an AFO splint since he also had foot drop, but his was caused by heavy lifting and he also had a bulging disk in  his spine.  Any damage to the spinal cord can cause all kinds of symptoms and they usually manifest in the extremities, depending of course at what part of the spinal cord is affected.

I could set the clock every evening when my tongue and lips will start to tingle.  I wake up with my hands and arms numb.  I have to laugh at the mention of "if you experience any tingling in your arm, etc. please go to the ER." as they think you may be having a stroke.  The sole of my left foot is always sore and tender, even though I have been participating in over 3 years of physical therapy, working with a fitness instructor etc. I just can't undo the nerve damage that happened back in 2001, nor do I have any control over the symptoms, but I HAVE to remain active. If I sit for any  length of time, I need to rock myself to get up and then I shuffle down the hall like an old man of 80.  Once I get going though, I am still physically strong and I find exercise is the best therapy for me.

Please hang in there, try to remain positive, get a support group or join activities where you can forget about the pain for awhile.

Sure hope that Hurricane Wilma does not turn out to be a "killer storm" like Katrina was and that everybody remains safe and dry.
God Bless,
The Canadian
Hello All. Just wanted to communicate my symptoms to see if anyone is experiencing exactly the same thing as me?  I do read postings from many unfortunate souls who are in a far worse position than me, but it intrigues and frustrates me that relatively little is known about the various forms of Sensory Neuritis.  I suppose that unless we all talk about these conditions, then they may continue to be overlooked, misunderstood or even misdiagnosed.

I am a 38 yr old female.  9 years ago I started to experience mild 'pins and needles' sensations in, what is sometimes known as 'the sock and glove' areas of the limbs.   Gradually, over the years, the pins and needles have become more and more intense.  They are all over my body - felt absolutely everywhere, even under my scalp, in my eye-balls, tongue, gums, ears, face and torso, but especially strong in my extremities.  The pins and needles are constant - 24 / 7 / 365.  However, sometimes, if I am tired or have been on my feet all day or feel under-the-weather due to cold, the sensations are much stronger.   I cannot sit for long in one position or else the pins and needles hone-in on certain parts of my body and the sensation is intolerable.

I liken the condition to a 'noise' going on in my body. Much of the time I just try to ignore it, but sometimes I just can't and it can occasionally get me down because I can't escape it.

I have had 2 x MRI scans and a lumber puncture, plus various blood tests - all (thankfully) confirming no acute diseases.  At a loss for any other category, my medical team told me that my condition is called SENSORY NEURITIS.  Apparently, it is inflammation of the nerves and the pins and needles sensation is because I can literally feel the little spark which jumps from one nerve ending to the next nerve ending.   The other sister-condition of Sensory Neuritis is, apparently, where some people get pain from the spark which jumps from one nerve to another.  This condition of course, is more serious and my heart goes out to folks with it.  

At the moment, I do not suffer from loss of sensation or shooting pains that some complain of, although when the pins and needles are especially intense, it is bordering on being painful - certainly very uncomfortable.

There is just one niggling suspicion in my mind about why the pins and needles may have started... the condition started not long after my first child was born from emergency Caesarean Section, for which I had spinal block/epidural.  Then again 5 years later, for the birth of my second child.  Could damage or effect have taken place on those occasions ??  Maybe, maybe not...

I'd be pleased to hear if anyone (male or female, any age)who has the same or similar symptoms and if they know of any treatment, be it medicinal, herbal or alternative therapy which may at least ease the condition.     Thank you for reading.    Best regards.  

...
Hello.  About 10 years ago I noticed I started getting pins and needles in my legs and arms.  I also noticed it happened after I ate something with wheat flour in it.

Eventually I stopped eating anythign with wheat flour in it, even tiny trace of wheat flour caused this condition, often my big toe would also ache.

The doctor was perplexed, one night I was in a bar and was talking to a doctor.  He listened to my symptoms and told me it could be a genetically disease programmed to activate at a certain age.

He went on to say that the disease had something to do with not producing certain digestive enzymes.

I was alos told my blood is very acidic which can cause pins and needles but I am not diabetic or have any problems with my liver of kidneys.

Gradually over many months I felt like to touch any thing was like someone scratching the blackboard the way that makes your skin crawl. noises too. I have had diabetis since I was 9 yrs old so I believed that it was neuropathy and started taking neurontin. then the neurontin was barely covering it and I could hardly bear life. I had 2 ceasareans and also back problems like some of the other posts. My father took me to Dr. paul cutler of niagra falls and he saw some blood work that showed my thyroid in the normal range but that what I had was symptomatic of thyroid. The day after supplementing with armour thyroid the joy of normal senses returned to me. this may not help all that are posting on this site but it may help someone. I sure would like to know if this helps anyone.***@****
Hello to All:
All comments point straight to Peripheral Neuropathy.I was diagnosis with said problem. At the present time I am on 2400mg. of Gabapentin seems to be working.
inv
Sounds all too familiar!  I
Hi.  I've been surfing re my newest symptom of tingling soles of feet and numb top lip.  I have Hashimoto's hypothyroidism which is responsible for a host of symptoms and this is maybe more in the long line.  I too suspected maybe MS or something else - but if you on this thread (I do see this thread started long ago) have not been tested for thyroid - I see doc suggested same - maybe it's a possibility for you.  Make sure you get a copy of your results and look them up for yourself - the lab ranges are old and wrong - new range for TSH is 0.3 to 3.0 - don't let them tell you you're "normal" and leave it at that - check for yourselves.
This is the only website that puts me at ease for a while.  When I read so many of your with the same symptoms.  I have been having symptoms of numbness and tingling in my hands, feet going up my legs and now across my butt since September 05.  I have had an EMG, lots of blood work, 3 MRI's and nothing has shown up.  I have seen a Rheumatologist and Neurologist.  I am scheduled for two more MRI's this week.  I have read so much about MS and I am convinced that is what it is.  Hopefully these next two MRI's will be normal.  Does anyone know if fibromyalgia can cause these symptoms?
Fibro. can cause tingling from what I've read but I think there's also specific areas of body pain with fibromyalgia.  Different blood work can help to rule out different autoimmune disorders I believe.  
I go back to the neuro. tomorrow to get my mri results but so far, everything is pretty much the same.
Oct 1, 05 I started experiencing a coolness in my right and and foot. Noticable when in a sitting position(at my desk or ridding in the car).  I went to the dr. Oct 18, and we both agreed that it may be stress.  My husband was in at Mass General in a seizure study. What should have been 3-7 days ended up being 20 days because he broke his back and shoulder during second gran mal seizure.

I went back to dr. in November and he ordered an MRI to rule out MS. Unfortunately, we had to do an angiogram and found a 10 mm. cavernous malformation -right porietal lobe.  Neurosurgeon feels it could be a small slow-growing begine tumor but cannot know for sure unless surgically removed.  I have decided to wait six months and do another MRI to check for change.

I think this CM may be separate from what I am experiencing now.  Yesterday, I was outside light shoveling and light lifting.  When I came in my body felt like the fireworks were shooting warm tingles in both hands, both thighs, back of right calf and leg, right side of upper back.  My last two fingers on both side (about 1 week ago) started to go numb up to my elbow with dull ache.

Can anyone shed any light??? I welcome your thoughts.