Neurology Community
polymicrogyria

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

polymicrogyria

My 3 year old daughter has recently been diagnosed with polymicrogryia in the frontal lobes and significantly elevated CK levels...does anyone out there know more about these two things and whether they are related??? or what they mean independently???
Concerned Mom

Polymicrogyria is a brain malformation characterized by abnormal cortical lamination, excessive cortical folding, and fusion of the cortical molecular layer. It can be characterized by global developmental delay, seizures, gaze abnormality, and other abnormalities.

Creatinine Kinase (CK, CPK) is an enzyme found primarily in the heart and skeletal muscles, and to a lesser extent in the brain. Significant injury to any of these structures will lead to a measurable increase in CK levels.

CK can be elevated in patients with polymicrogyria.
Thanks for your comment...
Do you know how/why CK levels rise in patients with polymicrogyria? Can anything be done to stop the muscle damage?
Concerned Mom
We are looking at adopting a 6 yr old girl that has had an MRI and is diagnosed with polymicrogyria. We are hoping to have a formal presentation of her information and all medical records this next week. We are told she also has macrocephaly but no hydrocephalus. We have been told she is sweet, well behaved quiet and shy. She seems to get along with everyone very well. We were told she has been considered "mildly retarded" but they cannot predict if she will need to have care for the rest of her life or if she will be able to live independently. Can you tell me what red flags to look for when I am reviewing the records that the county social services shares with us? I just found out about her last week and am just getting into the research on this diagnosis. With the elevated CK levels, are there natural ways to reduce that in her body? She has issues with muscle tone and I was curious if this had anything to do with the diagnosis. What are the best resources to research this diagnosis as far as you are concerned? We have an 8 yr old with ADHD and I want to be sure this is a good match for both of them. If it is not, it will be catastrophic for all concerned.

Also, if you were in my position, would you knowingly adopt a child diagnosed with polymicrogyria? We are deeply in prayer about it as there are so many steps to adopting within the child welfare system. A disrupted placement would be worse than anything for all concerned. My heart tells me yes but my brain tells me to get all the information I can up front.

What do you both think?
mic0711