Neurology Community
possible bells palsy AGAIN!!!

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

possible bells palsy AGAIN!!!

ok for the past week my left side of the face has been feeling somewhat weak.... meaning mostly from the bottom of my left eye to my left forhead...the rest of my face feels normal... im terrified to get the bells palsy again...last time i had bells palsy was 2yrs ago around this time...so I went to the er and they gave me perdisone 50mg and valacyclovir 1gm.. will this prevent me from getting bells palsy again?? And is there anything I can do before I get the bells palsy? I got a appointment set up for jan 10th at a neurologist.
Hi there!

The medications would not prevent Bells palsy from occurring but would reduce the symptom severity and decrease the course of the condition. I would suggest consulting an internist or a neurologist for an evaluation and suggestion of an appropriate management plan.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!
See a sleep center. It sounds like narcolepsy. Viruses can actually cause it.

I went undiagnosed for about 15 years, until I finally saw a sleep specialist and she nailed the diagnosis right away. The vast majority of doctors have absolutely no idea what it is or what it looks like, and no routine lab tests, MRI, CT scan, x-ray or anything of that nature will detect it. 75% of people with narcolepsy never get diagnosed in their lifetime.

It doesn't look the way you think it looks. Common misdiagnoses are depression, epilepsy, and migraines. I struggled for years to find an answer, and was misdiagnosed several times. I had it with just sleepiness during the day and what looked like insomnia at night for probably about 15-20 years before I ended up with more serious symptoms of narcolepsy that actually included cataplexy (random muscle weakness that can either be isolated, or widespread). It manifested first in my face, as a sort of Bells Palsy that came and went randomly, but when I paid closer attention I realized I got weakness and twitching (not uncommon) in my other muscles sometimes too, though I chalked it up to clumsiness until I paid attention.

Get seen by a sleep center!

I went undiagnosed for about 15-20 years, until I finally saw a sleep specialist and she nailed the diagnosis right away. The vast majority of doctors have absolutely no idea what it is or what it looks like, and no routine lab tests, MRI, CT scan, x-ray or anything of that nature will detect it. 75% of people with narcolepsy never get diagnosed in their lifetime.

Get seen by a sleep center!