Neurology Expert Forum
possible problem with shunt

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

possible problem with shunt

My mother is 74,has hx of TIAs,2 weeks ago had surgery for hydrocelplis,shunt now in place
today she is c/o bad headache in front,blurry vision,constant blinking
She also has hx of dementia,has severe and difuse cortical atrophy
Should we be concerned about the shunt or watch for other symptoms
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

If you are concerned that the shunt may not be functioning correctly, I suggest you go to a local emergency department (ER) and have it evaluated with imaging. Then the question of shunt malfunction and function should be discussed with a neurosurgeon.

Headaches may be associated with the shunt or it could be a migraine or another headache variant. Does your mother have a history of migraines or headaches? Has she had this headache before? If not, I would suggest she be evaluated in the ER.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.