Neurology Community
post concussion exercise?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

post concussion exercise?

Hello
Almost 2 weeks ago I suffered  concussion from falling on ice and hitting my head. I immediately had a neurological exam and a cat scan and they said it was normal. I have had increased headaches and nausea so I had another Cat scan on wednesday night. I was told not to exercise until I am feeling better but I am getting antsy. I was told not to work out because getting my blood pressure higher can lead to bleeding in the brain.

when can i work out? Can i begin with an easier work out? and if so, what?

thank you
Hello.

Post concussion, it takes about 6 months to recover fully. You may recover earlier also.

The advice is that of a graded exercise. You should start with minimum efforts, and gradually increase the workout time or level, slowly.

Those who are sprinters, usually begin to jog slowly and steadily increase it over a few months.

Regards
How are you doing now?  I, too, am frustrated in my inability to exercise since a head injury last November.  You wrote in December - are you beginning to exercise yet?

(My posting is under the name Mimster.
I had a concussion in a car accident 2 weeks ago and was diagnosed with post-concussive syndrome and cervical strain. I am still in significant pain. I am really upset about not exercising and getting out of shape.

Any thoughts on how long?
Sorry to here about your injury. I had a car accident in 2004 and didn't realize right away I had a concussion  I currntly still have migraines and memory issues I just found out My MRI has a 4mm white spot in my right frontal lobe  Doctors haven't been very upfront about any of my injuries If you don't break bones in an accident seems like the insurance companies can get away with keeping facts from you
Hello
I am having a terrible migraine today Most the pain is on the top of my head but I can feel some of it on the sides down the back to my neck
They put me on topamax sometime ago but I had more migraines so the only maintennce for the migraines I'm on is Lyrica
I did some things yesterday that needed to be done and that is why I'm like this today If I want to stay at a pain level 6 I can't do much other than sit around a little  Walk some but no picking up anything bend twisting kneeling, pretty much nothing
Help I'm so frustrated I have had MRI,XRAYS  They say I have more pain then I should Well my brain is doing that I'm on vicidin,lyrica,wellbutrin,cymbalta, synthroid,toprol,  I even had a MRI of my brain because of the migraines
Will doing cardio-excercises like walking help?
I have all the symptoms of post concussion.  It has been 5weeks after the accdnt.  I am still feeling dizzy, but I am getting frustrated can I workout?