Neurology Community
post op cervical spine C7 scar tissue

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

post op cervical spine C7 scar tissue

In Dec 2006 i had surgery at C7 where the neurosurgeon shaved a lumpy growth of bone away to decompress a nerve root causing pain,tingling down my right arm.He used a posterior approach but i now have bad pain in my neck on the LEFT side where a hard 'lump' under the skin has formed. I have been told this is 'scar tissue' and am having physio therapy at last on it.  I am still not convinced this will help and feel very depressed because i cannot lead a normal life because of the pain.

This discussion is related to Problem Cervical Spine.
Hello.

Did you find out the nature of the bony growth that was removed? Was it a bone tumor? If yes, there are chances of recurrence.

If this new hard lump can be moved with the skin, it may be a scar tissue. If it is fixed, it can be a recurrent bony growth. In any case, you will have to get it removed as it is causing trouble.

Regards
Thank for your reply.
The bony growth that was removed was not diseased in any way so the lump seems to have come post-op.  It seems fixed to me but a physiotherapist thinks its 'scar tissue' and the operating surgeon? i'm not convinced so i am waiting for another MRI scan. Hopefully it will confirm what the lumpy area actually is.
I have been told by the Drs that they wouldnt touch me with surgery again so thats a bit worrying if it needs removing. Perhaps if they see whats wrong on the MRI, they will change their mind.  In the meantime i am on strong painkillers and having physiotherapy on my neck which hurts even more!!
Regards.