Neurology Community
post op pain after c6-7 discectomy with fusion
About This Community:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

post op pain after c6-7 discectomy with fusion

I had a c 6-7 discectomy and fusion 5 weeks ago.  Immediately after surgery I noticed that my arm pain was gone, but after a few day the pain seemed to come back.  My surgeon said that my surgery was difficult because my neck muscles were very tight and thick.  Also as a result of the surgery my right vocal cord has been paralyzed making swallowing and speaking quite difficult (consequently I am now under the care of an ENT MD and a speech therapist). Due to severe swelling I was on IV corticosteroids while in the hospital and then I was sent home with a prednisone pack.

My question is this:  given all the above noted complications, is it likely that it will take more time the pain to subside in my arm (which is the reason I had the surgery initially) ?

This discussion is related to Continued pain after anterior cervical fusion.