Neurology Community
post op pain after c6-7 discectomy with fusion

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I had a c 6-7 discectomy and fusion 5 weeks ago.  Immediately after surgery I noticed that my arm pain was gone, but after a few day the pain seemed to come back.  My surgeon said that my surgery was difficult because my neck muscles were very tight and thick.  Also as a result of the surgery my right vocal cord has been paralyzed making swallowing and speaking quite difficult (consequently I am now under the care of an ENT MD and a speech therapist). Due to severe swelling I was on IV corticosteroids while in the hospital and then I was sent home with a prednisone pack.

My question is this:  given all the above noted complications, is it likely that it will take more time the pain to subside in my arm (which is the reason I had the surgery initially) ?

This discussion is related to Continued pain after anterior cervical fusion.
Hi there.

From the way your surgeon expressed his difficulty during the surgery, it is really possible that healing may really take some time.  The best option is to have a rehabilitation program together with the pain medications.  It is also important that you get tapered off from your steroid medications, since if given for a long period, can have more side effects including bone loss, water retention, and sometimes, cardiovascular complications.

Regards and God bless.
What causes pain down the back of the arms, just from the armpit to the elbow? I have had cervical fusions since 1992, the last on Aug 11, 2008. Now I'm fused from c-3 to t-1. My pain was gone after surgery, but it is now back.