post op pain
I had cervical fusion at the C5/6 level. A week after surgery, I was taking no pain med. and felt myself again. It has been two months since surgery and my pain has returned. My neck is stiff, the muscles between the shoulder blades are in constant spasm. Has anyone ever experienced such a thing? What could be the reason I felt fine for several weeks and now I feel as if I'm regressing to the way I felt before surgery. I have never had post op PT, but have had massages. They do nothing for me. I also was told to begin taking my muscle relaxors again. They do nothing. I am so uncomfortable. Is this common?

Thanks for any info that will help me feel normal or give me direction.

This discussion is related to Continued pain after anterior cervical fusion.
Hi there.

Recovery from spine surgeries would usually require physical therapy and massages may not be sufficient.  Physical therapy aims to loosen out ligaments, muscles, and tendons, which if left tensed, may cause pain and discomfort.  I suggest that you discuss with your doctors regarding physical therapy, and this should be undergone religiously.  Pain and muscle relaxant medications may also help.  Have adequate rest and avoid too much stress.

Regards and God bless.
I too had cervical fusion on 12/3/07 C5-7. I did not have all the classic symptoms, like most folks.  My problem was muscle weakness in my arms.  Even to brush my teeth was exhausting.  After several different specialty docs, finally the MRI found my C6-C7 disc compressing my spinal cord.  Surgery went well, no complaints other than pain meds don't agree w/ me.  Was back to work in 4 weeks.  Followed all the rules and not to do lists.  However, work got busy, as did life w/ kids and did not do physical therepy.  I think it was a mistake so I have an appt. next week to start PT.  I'm having range of motion issues, muscle stiffness, headaches in my temples and pressure sometimes that feels like I've been standing on my head!  I hope the PT helps.

Michele in AZ